Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH has a really good job that pays excellent and has great bennies. He has worked there for 3 years now. His boss has had it in for him for years. He got mad years ago because DH called Human resources to ask a question after he was unable to contact his supervisor.

Well now the guy is making up lies and writing my husband up for it! DH is now on his last write up, and his boss said that he has to be 'Perfect' or he will be fired.

This is a big corporation with an out of state HR department. Some of the lies are things that we can easily prove, some aren't. I spent hours and hours reviewing facts and composing a letter to Human Resources that details DH's side of the story. I am going to email it this afternoon and also mail a copy, registered mail w/return receipt.

I can't think of what else we can do right now to help protect him/save his job. It will be devastating if he gets fired, especially because it is completely unfair. We feel powerless because he is getting in trouble for things that never happened.
My husband is a really hard worker, and all of his coworkers are stunned that this is happening. His supervisor is a real shadeball, and DH has seen lot's of people get mistreated by him. He is completely incompetent, and I think that HR might be aware of that to some degree.

What would you do????

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dubfam View Post
DH has a really good job that pays excellent and has great bennies. He has worked there for 3 years now. His boss has had it in for him for years. He got mad years ago because DH called Human resources to ask a question after he was unable to contact his supervisor.

Well now the guy is making up lies and writing my husband up for it! DH is now on his last write up, and his boss said that he has to be 'Perfect' or he will be fired.

This is a big corporation with an out of state HR department. Some of the lies are things that we can easily prove, some aren't. I spent hours and hours reviewing facts and composing a letter to Human Resources that details DH's side of the story. I am going to email it this afternoon and also mail a copy, registered mail w/return receipt.

I can't think of what else we can do right now to help protect him/save his job. It will be devastating if he gets fired, especially because it is completely unfair. We feel powerless because he is getting in trouble for things that never happened.
My husband is a really hard worker, and all of his coworkers are stunned that this is happening. His supervisor is a real shadeball, and DH has seen lot's of people get mistreated by him. He is completely incompetent, and I think that HR might be aware of that to some degree.

What would you do????
Start stocking away money for a rainy day and discretly look for new employment. If your hubby's boss wants it to happen your hubby probably will be fired.

I was in a similiar situation at a former job. I complained to HR because what my boss was doing was really wrong (he wasn't just doing it to me). HR did nothing and I got labeled a troublemaker and all my applications to transfer to my job at different parts of the company were denied. I would have been better off just transfering to another part of the company and not reporting my boss. Live and learn.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fek&fuzz View Post
I would hire an attorney ASAP. A few hundred spent on a consult and advice would be worth it.
Hubby probably has no recourse unless he is in a protected group and feels he is being descriminated against. It's not illegal for a boss to be unethical, a bully or a <insert choice word here>. Guess how I know this?

What you want to do is make sure that hubby still has a copy of his employment contract, a copy of his employee handbook, and the names and contact information for several people in his company's HR Dept. You want to make sure that he is not screwed out of any exit package he may be due. You could need a lawyer down the line if the company tries to deny his unemployment claim, but probably don't at this time. Your decision to make though, not mine.

If hubby gets fired, make sure that all paperwork (COBRA, severence pay, etc) goes directly to HR and not to HR through the former boss. If the former boss is the turd that I think he is, he will "accidently" hold onto to paperwork past their deadlines and "forget" to pass on paperwork to you that needs to be signed.

It's also better to communicate with HR by email than by phone.

If hubby is in an industry where he can either steal clients and open up his own business or use his current business contacts in another job, he needs to make sure that he has a copy of his contacts names, addresses, emails, and phone numbers at home as well as on the job.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate all the replies.

Here in Oregon we have a lawyer referral program through the State Barr association. When they refer an attorney the initial consult is only $35, even for really expensive attorneys. They gave me the name of an attorney and I plan to call him later today and schedule a consultation for DH. I figure the $$$ will be worth it and we may need him to get unemployment bennies.

I sent a very detailed letter to HR that they should have received first thing this morning.

The UAV manager that is trying to do this is a total goofball. He is incompetent in every area of his job. He has only had this position for 2 years and this is his only management experience. The person who hired him is his former wrestling coach. That is the ONLY reason he has the job.
I am hoping that HR is on to him and will see DH's side of the story. THis is a pretty good comapny that tends to take excellent care of their employees. DH has never been in trouble before, and it is pretty obvious what is going on.

He is looking for a new job, and already has some promising prospects. No matter what happens he wants a new job, to get far away from this 'person'. What sort of scum bag steals a job from a hard working family man with young kids during a bad economy???

I just cannot believe this is happening to us. It is unreal. He is such a great employee, I just don't understand

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I am so sorry for you, we had something similar happen about a year ago and we still have not recovered from it. Honestly, I see you have already written HR, that is about the only effort I personally would put forth down that avenue, I would freshen up my resume and start job hunting, it can take a long time in this economy to secure a new job, so I would start looking NOW before the ball drops.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well HR tried to contact DH a couple hours after I sent the letter via email. He was unable to take the call right then, and received voice mail when he called them back.

He is a sales person-he sells food and beverage product to grocery stores and other retailers. His supervisor is lying and saying that stores are calling with problems, when in fact they are not. DH visited 2 of the 4 stores today and both places said that they never called. I am starting to feel better about this. I think we are building a pretty strong case in DH's favor.
:

Wont it look really really bad for the supervisor if we can prove that he is trying to fire DH for things are completely inaccurate? There are a bunch of things like this that he has done but I wont bore you all with the details. Let's just say that I think HR might raise their eyebrows a bit once they research this issue. I know it is hard to get management in 'trouble', but I can't imagine them just letting him off the hook.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
Quote:

Wont it look really really bad for the supervisor if we can prove that he is trying to fire DH for things are completely inaccurate? There are a bunch of things like this that he has done but I wont bore you all with the details. Let's just say that I think HR might raise their eyebrows a bit once they research this issue. I know it is hard to get management in 'trouble', but I can't imagine them just letting him off the hook.

Thoughts??
Depends on the company. HR might raise their eyebrows and totally agree with you, but not be able to do anything. Especially if the former wrestling coach has anything to do with protecting his protege.

At the university I went to and also held down two jobs at (I had 3 part time jobs during college, that was fun
), you can't get rid of someone even if they're breaking HR rules, state-mandated privacy laws, being emotionally abusive, physically abusive (unless someone witnesses those two things), and so on.
Firsthand experience with a prof/manager I helped bust and my mom who's had to endure a decade of yelling and emotional abuse before she's gotten a supervisor to take her seriously, then it took another two years for said employee to be dispatched to a basement office where she doesn't deal with live people (but not fired!).

·
Registered
743 Posts
My husband was unfairly fired at the end of Dec. and we were turned down for unemployment even though the firing was blatently unfair and in clear violation of company policy. I've found that it's just something we can't fight, we just have to suck it up.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well DH and I figure this is a good way to determine if this is a good company to work for or not. From what he has seen over the years, it is a good company with the exception of his 2 immediate supervisors. They are obviously very corrupt. Now we will learn if HR is corrupt as well.

I am confident that he will be able to collect unemployment if he is fired. We are mostly focusing on build the case for that right now. There is not a whole lot more that we can do anyway.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KurumiSophia View Post
My husband was unfairly fired at the end of Dec. and we were turned down for unemployment even though the firing was blatently unfair and in clear violation of company policy. I've found that it's just something we can't fight, we just have to suck it up.
Did you appeal? Did you have an attorney?

I have a family member who was fired for sexual harassment and they got unemployment after going through the appeals process. We are documenting everything and are in the process of retaining an attorney.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DH talked to HR for half an hour today. It went very well. They are now investigating. There are plenty of records which will demonstrate that the supervisor is making everything up. HR sounded very concerned about the issues, and DH handled the call very well. He did not bring emotion into it or make any accusations. HR actually suggested that the supervisor may be lying. This is looking good.....Fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
Quote:

W

He is a sales person-he sells food and beverage product to grocery stores and other retailers. His supervisor is lying and saying that stores are calling with problems, when in fact they are not. DH visited 2 of the 4 stores today and both places said that they never called.
Thoughts??
Did he get documentation? I'd get something on their company letterhead/receipt (something) that they did not call to complain about your dh's service.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post
Did he get documentation? I'd get something on their company letterhead/receipt (something) that they did not call to complain about your dh's service.
When DH talked to HR today he was told that there is a recording of all the calls that are made to customer service. HR is checking to see if there are recordings from any of these calls.

He is going to get something in writing from each of the stores, just to be safe. But it really seems like HR is doing the right thing, and I really don't think that they are corrupt.

I am wondering if the supervisor will be fired over this. It seems like a pretty serious offense, to just make up stories and try to fire an employee. This is a VERY professional company, and all of the other management seems wonderful, with the exception of the 2 DH is having trouble with.

How could the company ever trust these guys after they catch them in a string of deliberate lies? Especially since they were manufacturing false stories and claims in order to get an innocent employee fired.

I am just giddy about the whole thing. It is really looking good for DH. He may not lose his job after all. It would be such a blessing for our family if his boss gets fired. He is so incompetent and has caused us extreme amounts of stress over the years.
I just can't wait to see how this is going to play out!
:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.