Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we rescued a beautiful, kind dog and it seems she has an incontinence problem. It is not a UTI, but it is possibly hormonal and possibly genetic (her bladder is farther back than normal). My DH says no incontinent dog in the house. I'm miserable because I am reading about things you can do to make it not so much of a problem.<br><br>
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Have you tried medication? It has made a world of difference in my dog.<br><br>
She's been on phenylpropanolamine for several years. I run the tablet through the peanut butter and hand it to her & she thinks she's getting a treat. No trouble, no leaks.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have given a bit more information. We have been in a trial period for the last week. The rescue contact is a vet nurse and she took her in for the UTI test yesterday. She kept her overnight while my DH decides whether he can handle it or not. I'm feeling very emotional about it and want to try, but don't want to set us up for returning her later. If it is genetic, I've found out about dog diapers, etc.<br><br>
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
If it's spay incompetence, it really is easily handled with PPA. I would never automatically reject a dog because of SI before I at least tried to medicate it.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I don't have experience with this, just wanted to send you a hug as I can imagine how frustrating it might be. Hopefully the medication works for you.<br><br><br>
HUGS<br><br>
Christy

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
My Aunt had a problem with her dog who was leaking urine. She had all types of tests ran and they couldn't find anything wrong. So the vet gave her some medication that she has to give her every day and now the dog doesn't have a problem.<br><br>
Your DH is right. You can't have a dog that pees everywhere. Talk to your vet about testing or meds. Otherwise can you keep the dog outside or find a home for him/her that would be outside?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. It is not spay incontinence, since she is not spayed (she was a show dog - we would have spayed her if we kept her). She could have had this problem all along (and probably did), but her original owners kept her outside. The vets think it is genetic due to the placement of her bladder. They are spaying her today and if there is a fix, they'll do it, but they think the chance is low. She is on the meds and the vet nurse who originally rescued her will keep her until she knows if the meds are working or not. She has a lot of other people interested in her, including ones with huge yards and no kids. She wants her in a place where if it is constant, the person will be able to handle it with ease and cause no stress for the dog. That is not my house. She thinks the diapers are unsanitary for dogs so she is not supportive of that idea.<br><br>
So, the short of it is that she is going to a different home. She was extremely happy to see the nurse's dogs again and she thinks she made a mistake saying that she'd be fine without other dogs (she lived with them her whole life). She'll keep us informed and we'll miss her.<br><br>
Thanks again. I'm feeling much more stable about the decision today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts