Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is 6 weeks old and nursing like a champ. i laid off dairy in the beginning and started eating more around 2 weeks. she had a stuffy nose on and off for a few weeks and figured it was allergies or the fan in our bedroom drying her out. her baby ance wasn't clearing up and i thought it might be an intolerance rash so i stopped eating dairy again and the stuffy noses stopped. the rash didn't change so i'm back on dairy and she's getting stuffy noses again. they don't seem to bother her and i take her in the bathroom with me for showers and the steam helps a lot. my question is would you stay off dairy because of a stuffy nose? she doesn't get very gassy and when she is it doesn't bother her. rarely spits up unless she eats to quickly.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I would stay off the dairy. It can take easily up to 6 weeks for all dairy protiens to leave your dd's system and then longer for the rash to clear up to know for sure she isn't suffering a rash due to being allergic to dairy. Here is some info on a cow's milk allergy in baby as they can't be lactose intolerant without being very ill <a href="http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/lactose-intolerance.html" target="_blank">http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...tolerance.html</a> Also most doctors currently think that you need to be exposed to a set of allergens for a season for things like grass before you can have an allergic reaction to it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
i personally completely gave up dairy.<br><br>
that first glass of soy milk...i was scared to DEATH. i held that sucker for several minutes before getting up the nerve to drink...<br><br>
now, i prefer it.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
I would stay off the dairy. It's not just about a stuffy nose- the congestion is a sign that she's intolerant and it could lead to more major problems in the future with continued exposure. Get off the dairy for a while, and she could outgrow the sensitivity.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would stay off for at least two to three months. The reality is that you actually need to have dairy again to test the theory of it being an allergy, but you need to get the dairy completely out of your lo system before you do that. My dd has dairy allergies and it's actually not that bad. I am actuaaly baout 85% raw now and I honestly don't really miss the dairy. HTH

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
The stuffy nose is a reaction to the dairy. I know a mom who didn't care when I told her w her 3rd that he was reacting to dairy, she loved dairy and would not give it up. By her 4th child, that child is allergic and she weaned (this child was being ebm for clef lip and palatte, so she switched to formula). The child can not have milk or milk products at all.<br><br>
I gave up all dairy in 2002 nursing ds2, I'm not 100% dairy free anymore, I don't drink milk, use milk etc, but I'm not as vigalent about trace casein in things as I was or needed to be back then. He was violently reactive, so I had to be super vigalent. I know I ate something after dental work different due to my teeth hurting and he reacted and I just cried. I knew I had eaten something I shouldn't have.<br><br>
I'm GF now, nursing ds3, so being DF with GF is just plain difficult. I do buy GFDF products when available, but dried buttermilk in a GF baking mix isn't causing my baby any reaction and we use it maybe 1X per month or less. I make our butter and I haven't had any problems with that, store bought my ds2 did, as I said with him it was ALL dairy, casein, protein related. He's a mess, he's Celiac.<br><br>
I use only raw milk in my house now for any cooking or other needs, the kids drink it and use it on cereal. Raw dairy does not usually produce the mucous reactions like pasteurized. If I have ice cream, I get stuffy and congested, my throat feels like it will close. Foolishly, in the last 2 years I've eaten Dairy Queen 2X and had this happen and think, this is so not worth it. If I have raw dairy ice cream made at home I am fine, completely fine.<br><br><a href="http://www.realmilk.com" target="_blank">www.realmilk.com</a><br><br>
You might find that raw dairy is not as reactive. You might find you need to go off all dairy completely for a while. You mind find you need to clear the pasteurized dairy out, wait and then try raw dairy.<br><br>
I do not use soy as a substitute. Soy phytoestrogens IMO are not good for children, especially boys. Soy can also play w your own hormones and extra estrogen is just not a recommended thing. Please do your own research on this to come to a decision for yourself. Some toute soy as a great thing, other's do not. I'm going with no soy for me. Also, in infants, if they are dairy allergic, the chances are higher that they are soy allergic too. I don't go out of my way to avoid soy that is a minor ingredient in a product like GFDF cookies, but I won't eat soy based foods (boca burgers, soy crisp, "health" bars, soy milk, soy cheese). I have found myself eating tofu lately in a GFDF frozen meal, but there is only so much I can do and I can't be 1/2 way normal w/o a fast meal or two available to me for when I'm just hungry.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Besides the issue with soy I was never able to tolerate the taste of soy milk. On the other hand rice milk is decent. I've also heard good things about almond milk, I'm allergic to almonds so that is a no go for me. The milk I have most recently heard about is hemp milk, but I have also heard of it causing stomach upset in some people. We mostly just skip milk and get the nutrients we could get from it in other things. It does make the occasional quick food item more difficult, but I've found some tasty dairy/soy free things although they aren't that great for me overall. Since quick foods are a rare treat here I don't worry too much about having junk once a month or so.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I always say, when in doubt, cut it out. Dairy can be nasty for a baby, and stuffy nose is definitely an allergic reaction to it. Just because she's not spitting up or getting gassy doesn't mean that it's not affecting her gut either -- my daughter stopped growing for a couple of months, and come to find out it was likely because I reintroduced dairy into my diet, and it may have been coating her gut with mucus. I started eating it again because she wasn't throwing up or getting diarrhea anymore, but it was still bothering her inside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts