Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been horribley sick all week, to the point where I couldnt get anything done I was just miserable. So last night I didn't take my prenatal or my Crinone(progesterone to prevent miscarriage). Its the first time I havent taken the Crinone, and second I havent taken the prenatal. Well today I feel so much better, not 100% better, but I can function and even do laundry and go to class. I'm pretty sure it is my prenatal that is causing me to be so sick. I need to take the Crinone for a while longer so if thats whats causing it I'm SOL. So would it be bad not to take my prenatal? What if I took some other vitamin in place of it? Any suggestion on what vitamin to take? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I think I'd do what you did, if I was feeling that sick from my prenatal. I've also heard about chewable Flintstone vitamins (as long as they have folic acid).

Please don't take this to be advice at all... but aren't the most important vitamins to have folic acid and the other B vitamins? I also take cod liver oil which has Vit A, D, and E, and I drink a lot of Orange Juice and Milk (I crave it, actually!), so I know I'm getting Calcium and Vitamin C. Recently I also had my iron checked, and it was very high so I know I'm not anemic. So for me, I would be most concerned with getting folic acid and the B vitamins, since they're so important. I'm interested to hear what others have to say, too!

·
Registered
442 Posts
If you're eating healthy, don't worry about the prenatal. Or, maintain a healthy diet and maybe supplement with Folic Acid (shouldn't make you nauseous), which is what I do.

If you live on fast food, sugar and low-value foods, or you're not really eating because you're so sick, then keep taking the pre-natal or talk to your provider about alternatives.

I hope you feel better

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ladies. I think I will do the flintstones for now, and go to the health food store next week and try to find some prenatals that are easier to digest! I don't eat the healthiest right now, but that mainly because I am having a hard time eating anything!

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Any prenatal will probably upset you, especially if it has iron. If you're going to buy more, I'd buy one w/o Iron. Also, since you're having twins, you'll likely be sicker than a singleton...you could always get on zofran (what I take on the bad days) or another antinausea, since nutrition/weight gain becomes critical for twin pregnancy (strongly related to carrying to full term). Vomiting is no fun...

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My midwife told me to put off taking the prenatal if it's making me too sick. In most of Europe, folks don't fill themselves through with vitamins during pregnancy like we do.

I'm also on progesterone, and it would terrify me to go off it until at least 12 weeks. I'd definitely give up the prenatal before giving up the progesterone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.