Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my SMIL has planned a birthday trip for FIL. She sent us the itinerary today. One of the things on the list is a "Ride the Ducks" tour of DC.
http://www.dcducks.com/index.htm
It just occurred to me that if we do this with them, DD will be riding in this thing completely unrestrained, no car seat, no seatbelt. We still have her RFing in our car! I am not sure how I feel about this....part of me says what are the chances of something bad happening, the other part is the what if factor. So mamas WWYD in this situation?

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I'd imagine it's equivalent to riding a bus or other form of public transportation and I wouldn't worry about it. She's 3, so she can understand basic safety if you explain to her the importance of sitting and such.

·
Registered
889 Posts
We were just in DC and few weeks ago and watched the DC Ducks boat drive right out of the water. It's pretty cool.

We also saw them down by the capitol. They are pretty high up and seem to go fairly slow. I personally would feel okay with it. But thats me.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I'd imagine it's equivalent to riding a bus or other form of public transportation and I wouldn't worry about it. She's 3, so she can understand basic safety if you explain to her the importance of sitting and such.
:

you could take your DD on a bus so she kind of knows the drill beforehand. i would guess it's pretty safe, though.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Anything driven by a professional driver is safer than your car. Anything bigger than most cars is safer... and duck boat tours are a blast! Go for it! (and explain that she has to sit down obviously.)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post
not sure if I caught this right, but your dd is rear-facing at 3 years old? I'm scratching my head at the ergonomics there----
We have two kiddos at 5 yo. 5 mo. that is rearfacing.

Anyway, I think I'd be as worried about going in the water w/o a lifejacket. But I think I would contact them and get some more info. on safety if it's not on the homepage. And then make a decision.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by just_lily View Post
My concern wouldn't be the lack of carseats.

Personally, I wouldn't go.
Oh jeeeez, neither would I.
Too many accidents with these boats.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pixiekisses View Post
Oh jeeeez, neither would I.
Too many accidents with these boats.
I would go. You can't live in fear of everything. If it makes you feel better, find out the stats of the company you are planning your tour with. I saw the boston duck boats all the time when I lived there. I never heard of an accident, but maybe there has been. It is a town of gossip though, so I would have thought to have heard about it.

Amy

·
Registered
294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AAK View Post
I would go. You can't live in fear of everything. If it makes you feel better, find out the stats of the company you are planning your tour with.
I agree...if we get too carried away being afraid of how things could go wrong or hurt us or our children, we'd never leave the house...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AAK View Post
I would go. You can't live in fear of everything.
That's a silly way to put it, we're on trips and outings a lot, but only those that we consider safe. We do not live in fear just because I wouldn't go on that one trip. But if you've read the link I quotet, that's too many accidents where too many people where killed.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Quote:

That's a silly way to put it, we're on trips and outings a lot, but only those that we consider safe. We do not live in fear just because I wouldn't go on that one trip. But if you've read the link I quotet, that's too many accidents.
I agree that there appears to have been a lot of accidents surrounding the converted trucks and the like...but...they were pretty old sources (the most recent was 2002, I think). Perhaps the standards have improved.
Why don't you call the company who will be running the trip and ask them...? Find out what type of vehicles they use and their track record...

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lanamommyphd07 View Post
not sure if I caught this right, but your dd is rear-facing at 3 years old? I'm scratching my head at the ergonomics there----
My DS was 3 in February and he just hit 33 lbs. I'm not sure about height restrictions since we turned him almost as soon as we could because of motion sickness issues. Either way he could have been RF for weight until very recently.

ETA: I would go, if you're arelly concerned just check out their safety record.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momma-d View Post
Why don't you call the company who will be running the trip and ask them...? Find out what type of vehicles they use and their track record...
Me? I'm not OP?
(And I don't even live in the US.)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Quote:

That's a silly way to put it, we're on trips and outings a lot, but only those that we consider safe. We do not live in fear just because I wouldn't go on that one trip. But if you've read the link I quotet, that's too many accidents where too many people where killed.
you're in more danger driving in your car than on one of those tours.

but i agree that it's all about every person's comfort level

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Quote:

Driving in a car is NOT safe - but I'd be willing to bet you do it every day

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.