Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 yo dd started having issues with strep throat the beginning of this year. She's had three cases, two of which were treated with abx (the last two times). The infection would go away only to come back a few weeks later.<br><br>
Last week, we went back in to the doc to have her checked to make sure all was well. He said her tonsils are still pretty swollen (one is actually touching her uvula and hasn't gone down yet) so he wanted her on two weeks of prednisone and six weeks of abx! I won't do prednisone at all so that's a non issue. But six weeks of abx also sounds pretty drastic. He said swollen tonsils and repeated strep usually indicates there's an infection inside the tonsils that needs to be treated. He's not a big fan of tonsil removal because he agrees that they play a role in immunity (which is good because it would have to be major for me to agree to removal). He also said large tonsils were a sign the child had been in contact with a lot of germs and the germs had "stopped" at the tonsils/the tonsils stopped the germs from going further. (thoughts on this?)<br><br>
She was fine last week, but this week her throat is red again, she's starting to have "the voice" and I think she's getting it AGAIN! We have not started the abx, I was trying lots of vit c and garlic to help get rid of any underlying infection but apparently it's not helped.<br><br>
So what do you think about enlarged tonsils and/or long term abx use? My 4 yr old and my bros kids all have big honkin' tonsils so maybe it's just a trait they have and it doesn't really cause a problem? I dunno. I do know that my bro took his youngest to an ENT and he never even recommended a 6 wk abx course.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I would have her taking loads of SA to bowel tolerance. Depending on how sick your dd is it may take quite a few grams a day for awhile to get her over whatever is going on with her.<br><br>
Taking a gram or 2 an hour while awake is a good thing.<br><br>
I had strep many times as a child and now am allergic to Penicillin which I feel is due to having taken it so much as a child.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts