Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, I'm going through baby stuff in the basement of our new house and I came upon the pumpkin seat that we'll use for baby #2. It was in the basement at our old house as well and at that house, we had a mouse problem - especially in the basement. As I'm unfolding the cover part, mouse droppings falls out of it so that leads me to believe that those little pesky creatures had their paws elsewhere on that pumpkin seat and it creeps me out.


So, with all of that said, should we consider getting a new pumpkin seat or soak, wash and repeat the seat, disinfect everything about it, like crazy?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
191 Posts
I couldn't do it- I would toss and replace! Sorry.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
what's a pumpkin seat?

I would totally use something a mouse had been on, it doesn't really bug me that much. But I don't know what a pumpkin seat is......like if it is a car seat, I would wash the cover, but you can't wash the straps so if you think the straps are super gross than you have to get rid of it, but if a "pumpkin" seat is bouncy chair, you can throw it in the washing machine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,770 Posts
Yes, a pumpkin seat is a bouncy chair. I learned that from my mother. She did not know what a bouncy chair was b/c they used to call them pumpkin seats/chairs.

I would be fine washing the cover & washing the frame w/ soap on a rag & then wiping it off w/ disinfectant wipes. If you want to get a new one, you could take it to Babies/Toys R Us. They are offering 25% off of new baby items like bouncy chairs if you bring an old one in, but only until the end of the month.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
oh yeah a bouncy seat, no question, I would throw the seat in the washing machine, wipe down the surfaces and wait for it to get covered in spit up and baby poop!

but I would also have no qualms about buying clothes, bouncy seat, toys etc from a yard sale or thrift shop, where you would have no prior knowledge of mice, but there may have been mice, so I would also wash and use!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,445 Posts
Wash and use. It's much more environmentally friendly to wash thoroughly and reuse than it is to throw one out and buy a new one. It's mouse germs, not anthrax!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
To me it would depend on where you live. Some western states (ex. MT) the mice carry things like Hanta (sp?) virus, or other Really nasties, and it would take WAY more serious disinfecting for me to use anything with mouse droppings on it around here. I would have to research and find out if bleach and hot water can get rid of that. If you are in a regular mouse area though, I would totally just disinfect it well and use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cetan Luta View Post
To me it would depend on where you live. Some western states (ex. MT) the mice carry things like Hanta (sp?) virus, or other Really nasties, and it would take WAY more serious disinfecting for me to use anything with mouse droppings on it around here. I would have to research and find out if bleach and hot water can get rid of that. If you are in a regular mouse area though, I would totally just disinfect it well and use it.
According to the CDC, hantavirus is viable at normal room temperature for 2-3 days, so transmission is really only likely with an active infestation. Sunlight lessens the time it is viable. I'd wash and wipe thoroughly and leave in the sun to dry. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/h...frames/FAQ.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,606 Posts
Meh, I'd wash and use as we, unortunately, have mouse and rat issues on occassion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
191 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cetan Luta View Post
To me it would depend on where you live. Some western states (ex. MT) the mice carry things like Hanta (sp?) virus, or other Really nasties, and it would take WAY more serious disinfecting for me to use anything with mouse droppings on it around here. I would have to research and find out if bleach and hot water can get rid of that. If you are in a regular mouse area though, I would totally just disinfect it well and use it.
True- didn't think about that. I'm in AZ, we've had hantavirus deaths here. Even seeing a mouse strikes fear

I might have to move and buy all new things if I found mouse poo in my house
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbone_kneegrabber View Post
what's a pumpkin seat?

I would totally use something a mouse had been on, it doesn't really bug me that much. But I don't know what a pumpkin seat is......like if it is a car seat, I would wash the cover, but you can't wash the straps so if you think the straps are super gross than you have to get rid of it, but if a "pumpkin" seat is bouncy chair, you can throw it in the washing machine
A pumpkin seat is a car seat - an infant seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,561 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cetan Luta View Post
Some western states (ex. MT) the mice carry things like Hanta (sp?) virus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post
I'd also worry about Hantavirus, but that's because of where I live

Quote:

Originally Posted by lunita1 View Post
According to the CDC, hantavirus is viable at normal room temperature for 2-3 days, so transmission is really only likely with an active infestation.
Not intending to hijack, but holy cow, I just had to comment...how do you guys know this stuff off the top of your head like this? I've never even heard of Hantavirus! Sometimes I feel so clueless because I don't know this Mama Stuff. Other times I just marvel at the level of knowledge on this board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,231 Posts
I wouldn't risk it. Buy a gently used bouncy seat and you'll still be partially environmentally friendly. Take the metal pieces somewhere where you can recycle it, and toss the cloth part.

Maybe there's a place online where you can buy replacement cloth pieces for bouncy seats?
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top