Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, call me naive. But my DS, 10 months, has never been sick with more than a little cold before. He ran high fevers all weekend, and hasn't been eating any solids, only breastmilk and some water. I took him to his ped today (we are in the process of looking for a new ped btw but haven't found one worth the switch) and he diagnosed us both with having an upper respiratory infection. He wrote a prescription for an antibiotic that he said was good for a number of bacterial infections, including strep, so he didn't do a strep test - although he did say it most likely wasn't strep. So.. and remember, I have NO CLUE with illness, we're a generally very healthy family... should i get the antibiotic? I want DS to get better... but how do I know the meds are necessary? I'm so used to dr's and nurses forking over antibiotics for any little thing (I worked in a dialysis clinic) that I don't know what to think here.

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
My 9 month old DS had something similar last week. He ran a fever for about 3 days, with 2 episodes of vomiting when the fever spiked higher. He had a little bit of a runny nose but that could have been because he was crying so much.
Anyway, I took him to the ped (our nurse call-line sent us in) and she looked him over and said he was fine, it was just a virus and to keep him hydrated.

If she had prescribed antibiotics then I would not have given them to him. There was no reason he needed them, and a bout with thrush would have been the last thing either of us needed. He's feeling better now. His fever broke and then he had a rash on the back of his neck and upper back that faded quickly (I'm thinking it might have been roseola) but is pretty much back to normal now.

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
how high is the fever? Our ped won't even see a baby with a fever less than 104! She also doesn't prescribe antibiotics unless it's obviously bacterial and the body has not fought it off in two weeks or more.

I don't think I'd take the abx, but maybe keep them on hand, just in case it gets worse or just won't go away on its own.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts