Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this may seem odd to post in this forum, but I don't know where else.

When dd was born with a chromosome disorder, I found out that it was caused by my own chromosome disorder. This means :

1, I conceive a genetically normal child
2, I conceive a child with the same disorder I have
3, I conceive a child like DD, who has multiple medical issues
4, I conceive a child with the converse of what dd has, even worse, probably won't even be able to carry to term (hence the two miscarriages before dd).

So in other words, I can never use my own eggs to reproduce again besides using IVF with PGD- honestly, I just can't see doing that, I would be immensely paranoid of even the smallest chance of having another chromosome disorder child. We think we don't want any more children, that's what we had decided before marriage even, but DH says that there's a chance he may want another child, in 10 or so years. (I'm 24, he's 29).

I would be more than thrilled to adopt but I have a felony conviction on my record from getting in a fight as a teenager. It seems our best choice if we ever decided, some day far in the future, to conceive again would be using donor eggs.

Meantime- I can't get pregnant. CAN'T. I am pro-choice for others but could never have an abortion myself. I have tried using hormonal birth control in the past but dealt with serious depression while on it. I know about NFP/charting to avoid, and we use condoms every time, but I am severely paranoid that I could get pregnant again.

I wonder about getting a tubal ligation. Would that effect any future attempt at IVF w/ donor eggs? Any other thoughts?

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
first, talk to a lawyer about getting your record expunged. a lot of people get teen-aged mishaps taken care of this way--particularly if they can demonstrate that they have moved away from that sort of behavoir. I assume you can, do perhaps this will help you.

second, i do not think that a tubal ligation will prevent IVF with donor eggs from a biological standpoint. the hormonal aspects of the ovaries are still there, and even if they weren't IVF utilizes a lot of hormones to make it work (quite honestly, it's not a procedure or process that i would wish on my worst enemy; more power to those women who do choose to go through it!).

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
unfortunately the "crime" was committed in MA, one of the toughtest states to get your record expunged. Just to try, would cost the same as a round of IVF, and I'd still have a record- it would just say something like "this record is sealed" instead of the record is clean. Which I don't think adoption agencies would be thrilled about.
DH is also bizarre about adoption, it makes me furious that he is, and if I do ever get my record sealed I will try to change his mind. But I know he'd want at least one more bio child first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.