Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'll cross-post this in a couple of places because I have no idea where it should go.<br>
I am looking for suggestions for an infant development or parenting curriculum for a class of pregnant moms and partners. I'll be the one teaching it. The program I work with is supposed to be collaborating with another program to offer parenting classes, and right now we are just floundering. They've been having a wide range of speakers each week, but organizing that is too damned much work, and I'd like to try a set curriculum.<br>
I think people would be open to attachment parenting. Very much so. Most of the participants are first-time moms. Usually pretty young. Not used to asking a lot of questions or having a lot of choices in their medical or child care (we live in the boonies!). Almost all participants are Native American.<br>
If you've used or been taught from a curriculum you've liked, please let me know. I'm open to looking at just about anything.<br>
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
From the little work I've done in cross-cultural education for language development, I know that whatever you do needs to honor the Native American traditions and view of the world. Thus, I'm not sure that a 'standard' curriculum is going to do.<br><br>
OK, since I'm avoiding work, I googled "native american parenting curriculum" and came up with this from the National Indian Child Welfare Association<br><a href="http://www.nicwa.org/resources/catalog/curriculum/index.asp" target="_blank">http://www.nicwa.org/resources/catal...ulum/index.asp</a> --it's about halfway down the page, after the stuff on Child Welfare. It looks both very AP and very culturally appropriate. Good luck!<br><br>
"Positive Indian Parenting: Honoring our Children by Honoring our Traditions<br><br>
This model Indian parent training manual draws on the cultural strengths of Native American child rearing. The material in this curriculum has been developed through extensive consultation with tribal elders, Native social welfare professionals and parents. The result is a manual that provides Indian parent trainers with information on how to conduct and organize parent training, background reading on traditional and modern parenting, lesson plans, handouts, and exercises. Focused on the positive values of the traditional ways as a model, the curriculum seeks to help parents decide for themselves what kind of parenting they want to use.<br>
330 pages, loose-leaf, three-ring binder.<br>
no. 12 $40.00<br><br>
The curriculum is divided into eight sessions requiring two to three hours each. The manual is bound in a 3-ring notebook, allowing easy photocopying of handouts and exercises. The material suggests a philosophy for parent trainers and promotes respect, family unity, and pride in our traditional ways.<br><br>
Session I: Traditional Parenting<br>
Session II: Lessons of the Storyteller<br>
Session III: Lessons of the Cradleboard<br>
Session IV: Harmony in Child Rearing<br>
Session V: Traditional Behavior Management<br>
Session VI: Lessons of Mother Nature<br>
Session VII: Praise in Traditional Parenting<br>
Session VIII: Choices in Parenting"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts