Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We homeschool , but through a charter for support, basically just see this teacher once a month for like 30 mins. The Common Core testing is coming up and I don't feel great about it...Stressful for kids, not awesome for education in general as I view it (teacher having to teach to the test, etc)...what are the rules about opting out? Can they penalize us or force us to leave/not enroll next year?

We're in California, and the ca dept of ed website states that charter school parents DO have the right to opt out--but no instructions...I hesitantly emailed the teacher and she replied it would be "way bad" to opt out--did she mean for her, for my daughter, for the school...? I said I would try to get behind it, but needed to research more. I do like the support and would hate to lose my chance to use the charter, is that at stake? Feel awkward asking this teacher more since her reply seemed designed to shut me down.............

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
I would ask what she means by "way bad". That does not seem like a professional reply me.

If my children had to take the common core I would opt-out. I am not a fan!!

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Yes, "way bad" needs some context. I've been in similar situations with homeschooled kids umbrella'd under a school program and because I'm philosophically opposed to standardized testing, I've struggled with how to handle it.

When we were registered with a wonderful umbrella school that fully supported our outside-the-box approach to education, we discovered that because they were an independent school -- a bit like a charter school in the US -- there could be serious repercussions to them (defunding, decertification) if they had an unusually high number of students not write. We didn't opt out of testing, because we decided that on balance we could make this one distasteful sacrifice in order to support what they were offering.

When we were registered with a government umbrella virtual school program, there was much greater latitude for opting out. They didn't particularly want us to opt out, because it invited greater scrutiny of their program, but I decided that the possible damage from forcing my anxious dysgraphic 11-year-old to write the exams was likely going to be greater than any damage caused to alternative education options.

So I made different choices depending on what the actual repercussions for the school were, and how strongly I felt about supporting the school in its current approach.

miranda

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Whoa, that response would make me see red!
Is it possible to inquire with the Dept. of Ed. on the op-out procedure instead, and leave the teacher out of it?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Check out http://unitedoptout.com/ It's a great source for info on opting out, and even has a state-by-state section going over the requirements in each state.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts