Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I also posted about this in the Country Living Forum...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I have a boar I need to get rid of in a hurry for logistical and financial reasons...  But I don't have time or space to castrate him and wait on the meat to lose it's "boar" taste.  I have never eaten a working boar, and I don't even really know if it's nasty or tolerable.  My mom says that I ought to just turn him entirely into sausage, that the flavors would cover any off taste.  Any thoughts or suggestions?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, I have a large amount of just weaned pigs(about eight weeks old) that I need to get off the feed bill.  They aren't selling, so I am looking at eating them.  The butcher and process fee at the local packer would be out of the question for such a small amount of meat, but I've processed pigs myself and can do it(just prefer not to*haha*).  I just feel like I am wasting their potential.  Is young pig especially good?  Any thoughts on how to home process(I am not *that* experienced)?  I was thinking maybe just part them out in large chunks for soups and stocks to make it easier, versus getting all the fancy cuts.  Any advice would be appreciated!  <br>
Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
282 Posts
<p>For at least a couple of the little guys, Cochon du Lait! Especially if you have a means of cooking them outside. Would be a fantastic holiday meal (if not for the religious holidays coming up, maybe a celebratory New Year's meal?) Do a search in Youtube and there are a lot of videos on both processing and cooking. I don't have much advice on the boar, but agree sausage would be a great option. Especially something aged, again if you have the means (appropriate temp and humidity spot).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Not a bad position to find yourself in! Please let us know what you end up doing...</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts