Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my dd is lactose intollerant. She much prefers the taste of dairy milk to soy milk, even after giving the soy a good year's trial. Neither of us care for the taste of the lactose free milks we've tried, and we only have one choice for organic lactose free around here.
: My question is this -- since the ingredient list on lactose free dairy milk indicates that it's simply regular milk with lactase enzyme added, would it be safe for dd to just drink regular dairy milk and take a lactase enzyme pill (such as Lactaid) with it? She doesn't drink *tons* of milk -- we're talking milk on her breakfast cereal most days and maybe 3 or 4 additional servings in a given week in the form of fruit smoothies. So less than one cup a day on average.

Before someone spends time suggesting it, I know she doesn't *have* to drink any milk at all, but we are not a vegan family and she wants to drink milk, so I'm really just looking for advise on the health implications of soy milk vs. l-f milk vs. regular cow's milk plus Lactaid for a lactose intolerant individual. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Have you tried raw milk? I'm "lactose intolerant", scored waaaaaay off the charts on that stupid test, but have absolutely no trouble with raw milk (which naturally contains lactase). HTH!
Also, try goat's milk and see if she can tolerate that

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by HerthElde
Have you tried raw milk? I'm "lactose intolerant", scored waaaaaay off the charts on that stupid test, but have absolutely no trouble with raw milk (which naturally contains lactase). HTH!
Also, try goat's milk and see if she can tolerate that

]

We have tried goats milk, but she didn't like it.

That's interesting about the raw milk. I didn't know it contained the lactase. I've been considering switching to raw milk, so this is welcome information! Thanks!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I second raw milk. Raw milk contains the lactase enzyme, when it goes through the pasturization process that enzyme dies. In actually people who are "lactose intolerant" are really "pasturization intolerent" plus raw milk has so many other benefits!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.