Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CAT had a vaccine reaction. I feel terrible, because I don't vax my children and even had a suspicion following the cat's last round of shots. Of course nobody believed me, and yesterday he had his booster. Today, he has pulled out or lost all the hair on his right flank and part of his tail. He's limping and yells when we pick him up. I gave him some thuja, but dammit. With kids I know the protocol to not vax, but with pets, I don't. Any input. We're never doing this again. Arrrrrgh. Where to from here?

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Distemper and rabies shots, on his flanks. I'll have to find out which one went on which flank. My husband took him in for his vet visit. I'll call and ask. This vet won't document a reaction, I'm sure, but I'll be taking pictures and switching vets. I'm looking for a holistic vet.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
It's hard with animals 'cause in some areas you can be charged if something happens with your pet & another person & they haven't been vaccinated.<br><br>
We also just moved out of the country with our pets & would not have been allowed into the new country without the vaccinations certificates.<br><br>
My older cat has a large lump that keeps growing (slowly fortunately) on her left shoulder from a vac a couple of years ago. It doesn't seem to be causing her any pain or discomfort but it's getting so big you can see it through her fur now. I feel soooo guilty.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be sure to have that checked! Some vaxes for cats are known to cause sarcomas at the injection site.<br><br>
My cat is a totally indoor cat, so I'm not worried about rabies, although I'll look carefully at the legal stuff. I'll call tomorrow and find out which vaccine this was.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
It's been there a couple years & been checked several times. It could be cancerous but as it is growing so slow & we would never put her through the torture of cancer treatment (especially as it doesn't bother her) we have decided with the vet it is best to just leave it. She's also not young.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
I hope your cat is ok!<br><br>
please do find out what manufacturer made the vax. We use only purevax, nonadjuvanted vaccines due to adjuvantanted vax being linked to fibrosarcoma...<br><br>
you can find out if your state will allow a positive titer in lieu of a rabies vax if you want to/need to have a license/proof of rabies shot to board your cat/take it on a flight/etc.<br><br>
Has your cat had a distemper vaccine before? it is thought that it is good for life, there's no reason to vaccinate an adult cat for it if they were vaccinated as a kitten (two shot series). Some vets suggest distemper every 3 years, but like I mentioned research has shown that immunity lasts a life time.

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I know someone whose cat had a violent reaction to rabees. She was getting the cat ready to be shipped, and in order to do so had the do the rabees....the cat went into shock within hours and they were lucky (courtesy of a very vigilant staff to bring her back from the brink).<br><br>
The vet did a lot of documentation so that the cat would never have to have another injection.<br><br>
There is a protocol that I posted on another thread, that has the core vaccination schedule. However a big question is whether your cat is indoor or not. If your cat is indoor and not exposed to other cats then it's not really at risk. An outdoor cat, on the other hand, is greatly at risk and needs even more vaccinations (such as leukemia). It's all a risk benefit ratio.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts