Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heather, there is a recipe I want to make and this is part of the instructions. I don't own a whisper mill, could you tell me how many cups of wheat berries I'll need to grind for this?

"While mixture is standing. mill 1 canister of Prairie Gold Wheat into fine flour with the GrainMaster Whisper Mill."

·
Registered
368 Posts
I bought 50 pounds of Prairie Gold and stored it in 2 4-gallon jars and still had a little bit of leftover room. I'd say get the 6 gallon bucket and then a huge container for the kitchen or just splurge and buy 2 of the 6 gallon buckets.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lao80
Heather, there is a recipe I want to make and this is part of the instructions. I don't own a whisper mill, could you tell me how many cups of wheat berries I'll need to grind for this?

"While mixture is standing. mill 1 canister of Prairie Gold Wheat into fine flour with the GrainMaster Whisper Mill."
Sorry I"m just getting to this today, I had TWO birthday dinners to cook this weekend and all the hoop-a-la that goes with.

One of the Whisper Mill Cannisters holds about 8 cups of ground flour from wheat berries, which, before it's ground is about 5 cups of wheat berries.

I never go over this amount of the cannister gets too full and you start seeing 'powdery flour' come out the top.

I found food quality (HDPE) buckets and the gamma lids already on, at my local pet store...but be prepared for 'sticker shock'. They are expensive, but will last FOREVER.

I think the gamma lid company sells an 'adaptor' for a regular bucket, so the lid will work on any bucket. I asked a local bakery if I could have their left over buckets from the stuff they buy in bulk.

/hugs and I hope the recipe works out.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you. I found a website with buckets for about 6 dollars and no shipping. So, I ordered two 5 gallon buckets and 1 gamma lid for $8. I had gone to the pet store over the weekend and choked on the price. :LOL Online I ended up paying $26. Not bad.

Thanks for the info on the flour, now I can try that recipe. It's for a yeasted pumpkin bread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.