Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies. I was hoping for some advice on what I can do for the serious eating difficulties I am having now.

Background: It was discovered about 3 weeks ago, that I have a large hernia about 3 inches above my navel. It is 2 inches long and 1 inch wide. My OB suspects that part of my small intestine and a small part of my stomach is protruding through the opening in my abdominal wall. This is leading to some serious problems with me getting adequate nutrition.

Solid foods cause me an immense amount of pain. I can tolerate only oatmeal, mashed potatoes, grits, cream of wheat and soymilk. The doctor says this is NOT enough nutrition, and I would have to agree, since I have only gained a total of 4 lbs. this pregnancy, and in the last 3 weeks, lost 2 of those

I should be supplementing with Ensure, but with my lactose/dairy issues, that is out of the question. Tried the lactose free slim fast shakes, but those are all citrus or cranberry based, which also make me very ill.

Needless to say, the lack of good nutrition has made me very lethargic. I have no energy, and the doctor's advice of modified bed rest has turned into almost total bed rest due to my exhaustion. She said that if I've lost any more weight at my next appointment on October 9th, I am being sent to the hospital to be evaluated for feeding tube placement!

Oh gods, HELP me please find a recipe or commercial adult meal replacement formula that is lactose/dairy free! I am getting desperate, terrified of the idea of a feeding tube, and worried sick about the health of this baby (ultrasounds show growth is good for now, since I am "fluffy" the baby is taking what it needs from ME).

Oh, and I am not able to have surgery to repair this hernia until the baby is born, unless it strangulates and becomes an emergency situation.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.