Mothering Forum banner

XPosting: Looking for a nanny to care for my twins

1167 Views 14 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  caro113
I already posted this in MD,DC and VA tribe thread yesterday but only got 1 response so I decided to XPost this thread. Hopefully will get more responses.

I need to go back to work soon since my DH and I are so tight financially. We also would like a bigger place eventually so we have looked at rates for two 4 mos. old infants and we couldn't believe how expensive it is just for one baby!

Do any of you know how I could find and screen a nanny for my girls since I heard that hiring a nanny is much cheaper than taking the girls to daycare?

I live in Woodbridge, VA.

Any types of information would be appreciated.
See less See more
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Having worked as a Nanny, I know that I charged more than daycare rates. I traveled to their home and gave those children very individualized attention.

I have known people who hired women who were here without papers and paid them next to nothing but that's something entirely different. Plus, it's illegal.
You could try for home daycare, it's generally more affordable. I'd think there would be quite a few options in your area. Don't know what county Woodbridge is in, but I know Fairfax County Moms of Multiples has a pretty active listserv, and I think Northern VA POMs does too. That might be a place to look. Maybe there's a yahoo group too.

Heard good things about au pairs too, but that might not work for you.

Good luck!
I haven't hired a FT nanny, but I did have to get a babysitter last year so I could do freelance work. I found mine through www.sittercity.com and I would highly recommend that site.
I have had a lot of success with Care.com . I just checked and there seem to be quite a few potential child care providers in Woodbridge. It costs $25/month to join, but I found it well worth it. The way it works is you post your "job" with all your requirements (I would recommend suggesting that applicants should have experience working with multiple infants) and almost right away you will start hearing from job applicants. You can view their profile, which includes a bio (with photo), job experience and qualifications. Some of them include "background checks" and references. I posted a job last week and received 25 applicants within a couple of days. I had a hard time deciding who to hire.

Anyway, I wish you luck! It is very stressful to try to find somebody you can trust with your small babies, especially twins. I think it is much harder to take care of twins than most people (even professional nannies) realize! I know it came as quite a shock to me!
We had luck with www.enannysource.com

You're right, it isn't cheap. But I found having a nanny at home to be less expensive than high-quality daycare. Certainly, I'm in a big city with the richest north shore in the world. Lincoln Park and Wilmette families can pay $20/hour and up; we can't.

We hired a smart, mature, energetic 25-year-old at $14/hour.

I trust our nanny completely and appreciate the love, patience and constant attention she gives our now 1.5-year-old twins. We did have to interview about a dozen candidates before we found her....

good luck!!
I'd look on Craigslist. I used to nanny in northern Virginia, and that was where I posted ads and where I found a couple of the families I worked for.

Also, the price of full time daycare varies a LOT. Nannies will be more expensive than some, less expensive than others.
Thank you all so much! I'm so thrilled that you guys gave me several links to go through. I have surfed and I can't believe how many listings there are!!!
:
See less See more
When figuring out cost, don't forget that babies in daycare will likely need to stay home sick fairly frequently, whereas babies home with a caregiver would a) get sick less often and b) depending on severity of illness, be able to stay home sick with the caregiver (i.e. you would not need to take as much time off work).

I would definitely choose in-home care if at all possible.

Lex
Quote:

Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
When figuring out cost, don't forget that babies in daycare will likely need to stay home sick fairly frequently, whereas babies home with a caregiver would a) get sick less often and b) depending on severity of illness, be able to stay home sick with the caregiver (i.e. you would not need to take as much time off work).

I would definitely choose in-home care if at all possible.

Lex
I wouldn't mind doing that again but I'm nervous of doing that again. My 1st dd experienced several terrible scratches on her face when she was almost 2 years old so I took her out of that caregiver's house. Then from 2 to 4 years old, she was at another caregiver's house but she didn't have enough educational stimulation and was overwhelmed when she started kindergarten. I'm not sure if I want to go down that road again. I'm having real big mixed feelings.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by VroomieMama View Post
I wouldn't mind doing that again but I'm nervous of doing that again. My 1st dd experienced several terrible scratches on her face when she was almost 2 years old so I took her out of that caregiver's house. Then from 2 to 4 years old, she was at another caregiver's house but she didn't have enough educational stimulation and was overwhelmed when she started kindergarten. I'm not sure if I want to go down that road again. I'm having real big mixed feelings.

I meant in YOUR home.
See less See more
We had a woman care for our babies in our home until they were a year old - then she had a baby, and we took our boys to her house for 6 months (after that they went to a daycare center).

Hiring an individual is MUCH more expensive, IMO - we paid unemployment insurance, worker's comp, payroll taxes - the paperwork was a pain in the neck, but it was SO worth it to not have to bundle up our babies in January and take them out of the house! And the ratio of infants to caregivers in North Dakota is 4:1, while our babies got 2:1 care. My Mom's advice was to hire a nanny, even if we had to borrow money to do it.

What helped cut the costs for us is that DH was able to arrange his schedule to work 4 10-hour days, and stay home with the babies one day a week. That cut the nanny's hours from 50 to 40 hours a week, which is a HUGE difference. We actually hired her away from a childcare center, and paid her more than she was making there. I don't think there's anything in the world more important than the person caring for my children when I can't (now that they are in school, that goes for teachers as well).

I agree that finding someone you trust is a huge challenge. We were just about ready to give up when Mrs. Wonderful applied. I think DH and I both knew before the interview was over that she was the right person for the job.
See less See more
Quote:

I meant in YOUR home.

OH! I definitely mis-read your post. In my home is what I wanted. $$$$$ ack!
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by nd_deadhead View Post
We had a woman care for our babies in our home until they were a year old - then she had a baby, and we took our boys to her house for 6 months (after that they went to a daycare center).

Hiring an individual is MUCH more expensive, IMO - we paid unemployment insurance, worker's comp, payroll taxes - the paperwork was a pain in the neck, but it was SO worth it to not have to bundle up our babies in January and take them out of the house! And the ratio of infants to caregivers in North Dakota is 4:1, while our babies got 2:1 care. My Mom's advice was to hire a nanny, even if we had to borrow money to do it.

What helped cut the costs for us is that DH was able to arrange his schedule to work 4 10-hour days, and stay home with the babies one day a week. That cut the nanny's hours from 50 to 40 hours a week, which is a HUGE difference. We actually hired her away from a childcare center, and paid her more than she was making there. I don't think there's anything in the world more important than the person caring for my children when I can't (now that they are in school, that goes for teachers as well).

I agree that finding someone you trust is a huge challenge. We were just about ready to give up when Mrs. Wonderful applied. I think DH and I both knew before the interview was over that she was the right person for the job.
I have applied for a position (and hope to get) that I may have to work from 3pm to 11pm. I'm hoping to get a nanny that we can afford to work at our home from 1pm to 4:30pm from Mon to Fri.
See less See more
Quote:

When figuring out cost, don't forget that babies in daycare will likely need to stay home sick fairly frequently
Also, if you don't vaccinate on the CDC's schedule, you may not be able to send them at all. I've heard several stories of day cares not giving babies breast milk (because they were uncomfortable or didn't know how to prepare it) and refusing to even touch cloth diapers (because they're yucky .. obviously
). So you may really want to consider that to, assuming it applies to you.

Oh and if you take them out during the summer - like my cousin did since shes a teacher - you still have to pay 80%-100% of the price just to "keep their spot". How crazy is that?

I'm sure you find a stay at home mom - like me - who would love to do this for just some extra money and wouldn't over charge you at all. At least I didn't when I was a nanny during my summer vacation in high school. 2.5 yo and 4yo for $8 buck an hour. Mentally, emotionally, physically, they were the exact same age. Everyone thought they were twins.

Good Luck!!
See less See more
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.