Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5-month-old has always done this from time to time, but recently it's gotten REALLY bad. She rears her head back, arches her back and pulls on the nipple. Sometimes she also shakes her head back and forth. If I take her off, she cries miserably.

I don't think it is reflux or anything like that. It may be a letdown problem--I compress the breast but don't know what else to do. Help! My nipples are already permanently sore/damaged from her bubble palate and this is making things even worse.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Ds does this too, infrequently. Have you tried compression while she is nursing? If she's sucking but not swallowing, compress and then release. Something else that helps us is switching sides. He rarely does it after I've switched. Surf kellymom.com, she probably has some good info on this.

HTH!

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
dd did the same thing--turned out she is allergic to dairy adn here i was eating cereal and milk EVERY day not to mention cheese yogurt etc

could that be it?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I do compress. Doesn't seem to help.
I tried kellymom, thinking for sure there would be something about this, but couldn't find anything.

Neveryoumind, gosh, I do eat dairy, and soy, but wouldn't it have shown up before now?
: Although she has done this *occasionally* for a long time. I guess I could cut out dairy for a couple of weeks and see. My question is, why would that cause this? Does the baby "know" right away that the milk is going to irritate her??

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
it was at least couple ,onths b4 she syarted showing 'signs'..to me it seemed she could smell or taste it and just would be so obviously hungry but then quickly turn away and scream and arch and so i'd stop dairy one week and eat dairy the next and the diff was huge! so i went totally off any type of dairy (ah the agony--i didnt realize i ate so mch of it till i had to eliminate it) and the improvement was amazing after abt 3-4 weeks (abt the time it takes to get out of ur system)
she almost 13 mos now and i can eat yogurt and cheese a bit now but still goes back to her old ways if i drink cow's milk--

now i just use rice mlk in my cereal and bought this mid-eastern type of cheese called 'haloum' thats made of sheep's mlk and we both love it ('im surprised cuz i dont generally like anything made from sheep, except wool :LOL)

go to kellymom.com and read up on dairy sensitivity-she has tons of great info

HTH

·
Registered
398 Posts
My ds went through a phase of this about a month ago. He was about the same age as your little one. I was going nuts! It hurt! I would stop nursing and try again later. It has stopped for the most part. I'm not sure if it was just a phase, or if withholding nursing for a short time corrected it. The difference is with my ds he wouldn't cry when I made him stop nursing. I wondered if he was just doing it out of bordem? He still does it occasionaly, but usually only when there is something else he would rather be doing. HTH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.