Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I just started knitting and my dd is asking to help - not really sure what she could do to help but I would like to find something that she could do with her hands and yarn while I am knitting. I have thought of one of those lap looms (the kind with the loops of yarn that you would make potholders with) but she didn't seem too interested.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

· Registered
4,346 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aufilia View Post
At DD's preschool, the kids sew yarn through burlap with a yarn needle. (You could maybe use really big cross-stitch fabric to do the same thing.)
What a great idea!

· Registered
442 Posts
She might be old enough for finger knitting (google it, you'll find videos and written instructions). There are also knitting looms that are relatively easy to use; you'd probably have to get her started, but once they're set up she could make things like hats or scarves. Uses the same idea as finger knitting - lift a loop of yarn over a finger or a peg on the loom. Or braiding.

Also, sewing cards are easy to make. Cut out a shape from heavy-duty cardboard & punch holes along the edge. Or, if you have access to a laminator, laminate a pretty picture and then punch holes along the edge. You could look at some commercially produced ones for ideas. Or, heck, you could buy some

Learning to knit is a wonderful pre-reading and writing skill. It helps with hand-eye coordination, tracking from side to side, using the hands independently - all important for reading and writing. Waldorf actually teaches knitting before reading, at around age 7.

· Registered
2,609 Posts
DD has been using a tapestry needle and some plastic canvas to sew for quite a while. The plastic canvas was easier than fabric for her to hold since it is stiffer.

At 5 she likes sewing felt shapes and buttons on to fabric to make pictures. I put the fabric in an embroidery hoop, again it makes it easier for her to hold.

Yarn scraps also stick nicely onto sandpaper, a nice feltboard tye activity.

Pompoms are also a hit here, DD can do her own winding but DS (just 3) tends to run out of steam before he's finished so I have to do some too. Still they enjoy it and play with the results for ages.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.