Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever use berroco ultra alpaca (the worsted weight) for longies for a newborn? It's so soft and lovely... I'm just looking for info on how it holds up and how well it works. I'm having a hard time finding anyone who has even tried it!

· Premium Member
1,983 Posts
I just finished a pair of LTK original longies with feet in this pattern and put them on my 10 mos old last night. He had no issues with it. Didn't flinch, grab his legs or anything (like my dd did when she first wore PF at almost the same age). As for how it works, admittedly, I put these on him - at night no less - without lanolizing them. And then let him in our bed! LOL! The bed was not soaked this morning, thank goodness. The longies were damp on the outside. I expect they would be less damp if I had lanolized them.

I think if you're the least bit concerned, I would use 100% merino or cashmere for the waistband since that will have the most direct contact with baby's skin.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I was more worried because they yarn is sorta thin? I didn't know if it'd be thick enough for good longies. But seems like it'd be soft enough... the yarn softens up with washing, too. I'm also interested to know if it pills much.

good to know that it did so well without even being lanolized, though!

· Premium Member
1,983 Posts
It does plump up a bit - bloom - with washing. And it does pill. I made a vest for my son out of it and it pills a lot. It'll eventually slow down, but you'll have to shave/remove the pills a couple of times, first. You could also knit it at a tighter gauge to get a firmer fabric.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think the firmer fabric will matter? I haven't done much with wool for diapering, but it's the plan this time around...

· Premium Member
1,983 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it for a newborn. You're changing dipes all the time anyway. And, with the alpaca, the fabric has a nice drape. It could handle another half stitch or stich per inch and still make a fine fabric for longies, I think.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.