Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Great. Ds figured out finally that all he has to do is push a kitchen chair up to the counters to reach any "illegal" item he wants.
I finally had to just tip all the chairs over so they're laying on their side, too heavy for him to sit back upright. Is there ANY OTHER solution to this?? I take him to parks all the time, every day. He has plenty of outlets for physical activity, so that's not the motivation here.

Anyone btdt who can give advice?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Oh geez. I'm at my wit's end already and my ds hasn't figured that out yet. He is climbing on the kitchen table though.
We were keeping all the chairs in the bedrooms, but I got so sick of dragging them in every time we wanted to eat I finally decided to just deal with it and tell him to sit down when he's standing in the chairs.
I'm am so frustrated with the grabbing and we're totally out of safe places to put stuff.

Shelves. We need more shelves!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
we're going thru the same thing here with our 18 monther. On the DR table, up on the bookshelves, the tv (!!!!), chairs pushed out thru the slider door and to the balcony rail. On the kitchen counter, helping himself to cat food and the kitchenaid mixer...shimmied up to the washing machine, shoving in clothes and pushing buttons...on the tables, unscrewing lightbulbs from the lamps...on the bathroom counters pulling out tissues one by one, then flushing them and saying by-bye
...OMG this kid just keeps upping the ante. Dh is joking that we need to start nailing stuff down. I can't leave him (ds, not dh, lol) alone for a second anymore.

All I can say is we gated the kitchen again to even attempt to keep half of the sanity I have left. (of course the gate is placed higher than usual so he can't vault over it.).

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
I'm right there with you, Finch. Owen climbs on everything and if there's a tight spot he'll be squeezing in there (getting stuck more than likely). He's recently discovered he loves jumping off his bed (in order to understand why this is not just your average "jumping on the bed" thing you'd have to see a picture). He climbs all the way to the top, puts his hands straight out, and jumps
:
Just in the last few days he's gotten his head stuck in one of those toddler folding chairs, his leg stuck in my headboard on my bed, and he's gotten his whole body stuck in his stroller. If nothing else, he definately keeps me on my toes
:

All that to say.... if you find a way to make it stop please let me know.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm too tired to deal with it this morning, so I just laid all the chairs down again. Dh was p.o.'ed about that solution, but he'll get over it. If I think of something, I'll let y'all know. I'm seriously considering bungee-cording the chairs to the table.

S&O, those pictures are too funny!!

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
Yeah, ds has been doing that for a while now. I try to put the *really* forbidden things further up in the cupboards, or in the case of the knives, back in the one far corner he can't quite reach. Otherwise I just let him "help" when he wants to and he has mostly stopped getting into things on the countertop.

Of course, there was the day he took one bite out of each of six English muffins...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Man, I remember those days. I have an open floor plan so I can't gate my kitchen off so that wasn't an option for me.
I had to put my dining chairs in my bedroom, close the door and have one of those special doornob covers on it so he couldn't get in.

If I didn't do that, ds would stalk me (I swear! lol) and wait til I went to the bathroom. Immediately, he'd run and get a chair and start climbing up on things. eeek.

Now, he no longer climbs on the counter but he does still pull up a chair to the counter and try to get at stuff in the cupboards. Drives me insane. Gonna have to find new cabinet locks...The ones I have are useless.

Oh, I used to find ds sitting on the dining room table all the time (when I came out of the bathroom). I had to stop showering when it was just the two of us here (had to wait til his father was visiting).
I still don't feel safe taking a shower unless his father is here.

Crazy kids.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Ugh, this is such a frustrating thing that toddlers do! First we tried tying the chairs to the table--that didn't work because DS learned how to wiggle under the tie to get on the chair then onto the table--which was near the kitchen counter so then he was on the counter. Next we started tipping the chairs until our little acrobat learned to balance himself on the bottom of the chair to get on the table then on the counter. Now we have the table far from the counter and we keep the kitchen chairs on top of the table unless we are eating--this solution has been the best. The table is against the wall in a corner so we have the chairs pushed back far enough that hopefully he won't be able to get them down--or pull them on himself. However this morning he brought a chair from another room and put it up to the counter where he proceeded to climb up and knock our wine glasses off breaking them
: We will have to figure out how to keep that chair away from him in the future. My only advise is that until this stage has passed to keep the chairs tipped over so he can't get on the counter. Or if your counter is safe enough and you don't mind I guess you could let him get up there?!!? Our counter houses all our drawers as well and DS loves to lean over the counter to open the drawers and we are just scared to death he is going to fall off and land on his head.

Good luck with this one--it has frustrated us to no end, hopefully we have found the solution in our home for at least awhile.

·
Banned
370 Posts
Apparently I gave birth to a mountain goat and he will scale anything that will hold still for a minute.

We did the kitchen chairs on their sides for a while. Things to watch for and head off include learning to climb on them while they are on their sides. Stacking things on them and then climbing, and falling and whacking little mouthes on the legs. I endedup tieing the chairs together under the table.

We ended up buying a cat tree(the thing next to the windows) for the kitties to get away from ds on. What happened was ds took over the tree. It helped having an indoor climbing structure. He spends a lot of time up there. The kitchen chairs were a phase for us thank goodness.

ETA: Of course he had just learned to scale the counters by sheer uper body strength now.
We are still trying to keep off limits things outta reach, but for us it is getting better.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Mine fell off the counters but that did not stop them. I never did find a solution and they still do it on occasion. I think I just had to watch them and anything really dangerous was locked in a cabinet or closet. I have a cooktop in the center island and took the knobs off so they didn't turn it on. I also had to lock my fridge for a long time.

Doreen

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by poppyqwn
Apparently I gave birth to a mountain goat and he will scale anything that will hold still for a minute.
LMAO.

Oh yes, we have a 5.5 foot tall cat tree that ds just looooooooooooooves to climb.
Ugh. Drives me insane. Well, maybe some sort of indoor climbing structure is in order.

Good to hear it's not just my kid.

·
Banned
370 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by taz925
I think I just had to watch them and anything really dangerous was locked in a cabinet or closet. I have a cooktop in the center island and took the knobs off so they didn't turn it on.
Doreen
I forgot about that. Yeah we have a butt ton of cabinet locks and we don't keep the knobs on the stove either. That's prolly why he isn't getting into so many things anymore. And after the last call to poison control I moved all the meds or med related items off to my bathroom in an locked closet.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Im not one for advocating or advertsing gates, but in these situations I certainly do use them. Not only for my sanity, but for my childs saftey as well. DD(2) is just to fast for me.
We gate the Kitchen.
If you are a willing party, get the ones that have the up and down bars and nothing across. These ones make it very hard for the child to climb over them.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We have an open floor plan, so the opening to the kitchen is easily 12 feet. Maybe a consignment store has a gate that big.....I don't wanna drop the $$ for a new one

We have baby locks a-plenty, but we're gonna have to move the butcher block
:. Yikes.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I just read through this whole funny thread and realized that all of the anecdotes (except for one that just refers to "they") are about boys. I have a girl, but she's not walking yet so I don't yet know how much of a horror she will be in this regard.

I'm curious, though, are boys known to be the bigger culprits when it comes to climbing?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahmck
I just read through this whole funny thread and realized that all of the anecdotes (except for one that just refers to "they") are about boys. I have a girl, but she's not walking yet so I don't yet know how much of a horror she will be in this regard.

I'm curious, though, are boys known to be the bigger culprits when it comes to climbing?
my dd was much more of a climber than my ds. she doesnt do it anymore though and shes not quite 3 yet.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahmck

Huh, I didn't even realize that. I wonder if they are...?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.