Mothering Forum banner

yeah, she can do prefolds again!! (photos)

863 Views 25 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  MyLittleWonders
For those of you who have followed Nitara's diaper saga over the last year or so, I had a real hard time finding any diapers/covers that worked with her stomach tube. The rise was too high or too stiff and bumped her tube and/or squeezed her tummy too much and caused reflux. All that worked was Kissaluvs and FB's.

Well . . she's older, her trunk is longer now, and it's summer. I like cotton PF's next to my baby's skin in the summer if possible (other than when we go out, FB are nice for quick changes). I ordered some standard 4x6x4 PF and Bummis covers and they work for her now!! I started with prefolds with Abi, and I really love their simplicity.

Close up of bikini twist with pins, which is my preferred way to do it, esp. coverless.

Nitara
See less See more
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Yay! I'm so glad for you.

BTW, she is seriously cute! (I know, you had no idea, right? :LOL )
See less See more
Looks like a great fit! Glad they are working for you!! We love prefolds too
See less See more
WOOHOO!

I have been pinning prefolds lately and am loving it, especially while outside. My pinning still needs a lot fo work though. It's pretty pathetic :LOL
Glad to hear that you are able to expand your stash. She looks so cute in her pf I really like the bikini twist myself.
Hooray!! What a cutie!!

Do you have to do anything special to the PEG to keep her from messing with it? Or do the pediatric ones have child-proof openings? (Sorry, I'm a nosy nurse, and I've only ever dealt with grown-up stomach tubes.
)
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by monkaha
Hooray!! What a cutie!!

Do you have to do anything special to the PEG to keep her from messing with it? Or do the pediatric ones have child-proof openings? (Sorry, I'm a nosy nurse, and I've only ever dealt with grown-up stomach tubes.
)

She's pretty good about not messing with the button because I keep it under her clothes. Normally I keep it covered/taped but it's summer and I'm afraid her skin gets too hot under the tegaderm. She's been getting a heat rash lately.

Here's a little slideshow I have put together to share with other parents on how to toddlerproof her tubing for night time, and continuous feeds when she's on them.
See less See more
Oh she's so beautiful! That poor little girl has been through so much in her short little life, as has mama! I'm so happy you can do prefolds again. They really are MY favorite too. I can't imagine not being able to use prefolds. And by the way, your bikini twist is amazing! I cannot for the life of me, get the hang of the bikini twist. With snappi or pins. Got lots of time this summer for practicing!

Meg
She looks great and is very beautiful.

I'm a fellow special needs mom too. My baby is 9 months and has a gastrostomy also. Right now he is wearing a 14 french 2.5 cm Mickey button (girls, that is the medical device don't go looking it up on google hopping to find some new and up coming WAHM :LOL ) Although our challenge in diapering wasn't the buttom but his colostomy. Everytime he would get gas his bag would blow up, dislodge the cover and cause major leaks.
: That also took time for his rise to get bigger and then the problem was solved. Unfortunately we wound up using disposables for quite a while until he grew out of that particular problem.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by mekat
She looks great and is very beautiful.

I'm a fellow special needs mom too. My baby is 9 months and has a gastrostomy also. Right now he is wearing a 14 french 2.5 cm Mickey button (girls, that is the medical device don't go looking it up on google hopping to find some new and up coming WAHM :LOL ) Although our challenge in diapering wasn't the buttom but his colostomy. Everytime he would get gas his bag would blow up, dislodge the cover and cause major leaks.
: That also took time for his rise to get bigger and then the problem was solved. Unfortunately we wound up using disposables for quite a while until he grew out of that particular problem.
Another G-tube cloth diapering mama! That's so cool!

Wow that gastrostomy bag sounds like a nightmare!! I'm glad he's growing and it's not a problem anymore.

I had to go to sposies for awhile, too, about a year ago. She's slowly getting longer so I can do other rises now.

Nitara has the AMT mini button and I *love* it! It's low profile, ballon device, and the anti-reflux valve lasts and lasts. Never had a leak with it. She had the Mic-key for a week and the valve blew on that one. Maybe it was just bad luck.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by faerybugmady
Oh she's so beautiful! That poor little girl has been through so much in her short little life, as has mama! I'm so happy you can do prefolds again. They really are MY favorite too. I can't imagine not being able to use prefolds. And by the way, your bikini twist is amazing! I cannot for the life of me, get the hang of the bikini twist. With snappi or pins. Got lots of time this summer for practicing!

Meg
I think the trick is to do it quickly and not think about it too much. Seriously, I tried to do it slowly one afternoon when I was learning, and I was very careful about it all. Then I got impatient and I just did it and it worked! Pull it slightly when you twist it, too. Have fun practicing! :LOL
Thanks for the slideshow USAmma! Very educational!
Nitara is so beautiful!

Glad she is able to wear her comfy prefolds!

Question: Does the bikini fold leak at all?
: I have never tried it because I am afraid poop will squirt out. I use the jellyroll but think the bikini would be easier when he is feeling wiggly.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelBee
Nitara is so beautiful!

Glad she is able to wear her comfy prefolds!

Question: Does the bikini fold leak at all?
: I have never tried it because I am afraid poop will squirt out. I use the jellyroll but think the bikini would be easier when he is feeling wiggly.
It will leak out poop if you don't get it just the right way so the pocket is in the back-- and tight. I waited to use the bikini twist until she had done her poop for the day. For a poop it's best to use a fold with more coverage. The bikini twist is great for pees though.
See less See more
Yay! I am glad she can enjoy some coverless fresh air this summer. She is so cute!
Oh that will be so nice for you as I know how blasted hot it has been the past few weeks (my mom lives in Tucson but goes to Phx once a week for work - and I used to live in Chandler) I've been following your cd saga - I'm so glad things are working out for you! And Nitara is absolutely gorgeous! Such beautiful eyes!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.