Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm hoping for some insight here regarding my 10 wk old ds2.

Symptoms:
- white tongue, pearly mouth
- shiny red creases, sometimes with cheesy white flakes
- rash around the anus only, chafed looking with sores (we EC from birth and he is never left wet, even at night)
- scaly rash around mouth (cheeks and chin), eyebrows and hairline (not cradle cap)
- gassy, fights breast
- watery, foamy stool

Our midwife thinks he has a systemic yeast infection. We've been treating him with oral probiotics (BioGaia), TTO mixed with olive oil for topical rash, and GSE/water on my nipples (even though I have no symptoms of yeast).

In the last couple of weeks his topical symptoms have cleared up a bit, but now his bowel movements are worse than ever. He passes a few bright green curds, then greasy yellow water that stains my sink (it is translucent, like thin watercolour paint), hen greeny yellow foam.

He is mostly miserable (fits criteria for 'colic'), but other than being fussy and gassy, he is gaining, alert, smiling, cooing, and just not sickly. Digestive upset seems to disturb his sleep.

MW wants us o keep on with the probiotics, take him for a chiropractic adjustment, and get a stool sample. Several diseases run in our family, Celiac's and Crohn's for example...I am thinking about an elimination diet. Any advice or thoughts?

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
Are you using the L. reuteri probiotic drops? I would use bifidobacterium, which is the dominent bacteria, over 90% of infant gut flora. Either Natren Life Start or Pharmax Neonate which supplies B. Infantis, the most gentle strain.

GSE kills good bacteria too, personally I would stop that.

You have considered foremilk/hindmilk imbalance?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I agree with everything Jane suggested. Maybe try switching probiotics, and continue using a Bifidus dominant one. You could try block nursing on one side--just nurse on one side for continuous nursing sessions over the course of an afternoon, or 3-6 hours, depending on how often you LO nurses. Weight gain OK? Who has Celiacs? Have you thought about eliminating gluten? I would probably give that a try!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.