Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yuck. Probably too much chlorine from swimming and too much sugar = mama is not happy. Coconut oil topically and upping the probiotics didn't work. (Can you even effectively use coconut oil and probiotics together / using the same delivery mechanism?) It's still mild, but discomfiting, and I certainly don't want to let it continue and risk developing GBS or something.

Yeast Arrest says do not use during pregnancy. It's got tea tree, neem, boric acid amongst its active ingredients. I haven't used tea tree oil anywhere during pg, let alone internally. But I don't have the spare sleep or adventurousness anymore to try garlic internally (which has never been effective for me). Thoughts on yeast arrest, or any other go-to solution?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Ugh, @carnelianlight --I know those feels. :/ I tried YeastGard homeopathic douche and vulva gel a few weeks ago, and it seems to be doing what nothing else OTC has ever done: Keep the beasties at bay! I only used one of the 2-pk of douche, but have been using the gel once or twice a day almost daily since (which was about 2 weeks ago I think?), and I truly think that's doing the trick. I got mine at CVS.

Reactions: carnelianlight

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had a very hard time w/ this last baby. I've never used anything topical but if you can cut sugar out for a couple of weeks it starved mine. I cut everything out except flavored coffee creamer. It was a hard 2 weeks & I do think I'm a sugar addict because of how difficult it was.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I battled yeast throughout my entire 1st pregnancy. The only thing that finally cured it was giving birth.
I have noticed that since I have made the switch to mama cloth, I have had waaaay less yeast infections, I can't remember the last time I had one actually, when it used to be common for me. And haven't had anymore problems with yeast during pregnancy. With my first I had been wearing disposable liners daily.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I battled yeast for-ev-er with DS1, until he was about 2...probiotics, diet changes, Diflucan, every natural remedy you can think of, and nothing worked. Until a naturopath recommended AquaFlora. *cue angelic choir singing Alleluia, sun bursting through clouds* It's a homeopathic liquid, 3-stage system...pretty freaking awesome. Homepathics = safe for pregnancy. So it might just work wonders for you mamas! I just took probiotics and watched my diet for the biggies (refined sugar, yeast breads, etc) while using it, and I've never had a problem with yeast since. Definitely need to use all 3 stages: High Potency to knock it out, then Phase I & Phase II. Hope this helps!! :blowkiss

http://www.amazon.com/Flora-Potency-Candida-Control-Ounce/dp/B002C9VNB2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434630284&sr=8-2&keywords=aquaflora+candida+high+potency

Reactions: Catholic Mama

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, mamas! I didn't get YIs last pg, but was strict about avoiding sugar & had no opportunities to swim. Chlorinated pools always get me. As miserable as the YI is, it is probably worthwhile since swimming and doubling up on vitamins have finally given me some energy back.
The only nontoxic things I could find here, besides my probiotics and coconut oil, are Vitanica's yeast arrest (off limits), Boiron Yeastaway ($15), and the AquaFlora 9 flower essences oral blend ($32) - not the 3-stage solution. The Boiron applicator/suppository combo, which I ended up getting, is not very well designed and one suppository has already been lost :( The AquaFlora stuff has a suuuper long list of FEs which could be good, I guess, since some work for me and others don't. However, vacation ends Saturday and home will have many more tx options.

I am bummed because it is short-season fruit season and cutting myself off from cherries seems MOST unfair.

For those of you who have struggled with recurring YI in previous pg, I am curious whether you also ended up testing positive for GBS?

·
Registered
368 Posts
@carnelianlight, You can find the AquaFlora 3-stage system on Amazon.com and have it shipped to your house. :) (link was in my previous post) Hopefully you can find something that will work, I know it's an awful feeling!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I battled yeast throughout my entire 1st pregnancy. The only thing that finally cured it was giving birth.
I have noticed that since I have made the switch to mama cloth, I have had waaaay less yeast infections, I can't remember the last time I had one actually, when it used to be common for me. And haven't had anymore problems with yeast during pregnancy. With my first I had been wearing disposable liners daily.
I was wearing what might be similar to your mama cloth (I'm not sure what that is) - in January or February this year I switched from daily Poise pads to daily washable cloth liners: Committed to Cloth set from Etsy I was wearing those until I had a UTI at least three weeks ago and lost control of my bladder, when I had to switch to Depends in order to not have to live on the toilet, and the pharmacist said not changing them right away may have led to the yeast infection (plus being pregnant of course). I'm using a catheter until the doctor says I can re-potty train myself after what happened this week (see the Ovarian Cyst thread) so I don't have much choice but to keep using the Depends for the small leakages that happen from the catheter.

I tried coconut oil earlier this week. I didn't find out at the hospital if I still have the yeast infection, but it was confirmed last night when my husband couldn't wait for you-know-what and it hurt so bad that asked him to stop right off the bat. So after that I finally tried Monistat. Now that I know I still have it, I'm not eating fruit or bread and avoiding other sugar and I'll have to buy more plain yogurt soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts