Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a naturally high yeast count. Until just before I knew I was pg it did not give me any trouble. Now I am not sure what to do about it. The itch does not get bad unless I get hot. It is mostly in the creases of the legs and lips. I now also have a rash under my breasts along the bra line. I have used some topicals, monistat and some presciption insert (all after the first trimester). My doctor wants me to take Diflucan, but has not done a culture or anything. Each treatment has made it a bit better, but none have cured it. Is there anything that is not systemic medication that you guys have tried and had success with? I do not like taking meds while I am pg. I am about 20 weeks now.

Thanks!
Sarah

Mom to a crazy 8 year old and an even crazier 3 1/2 year old

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
First it is very important for you to stay away from sugar as sugar feeds yeast, so no refined sugar or simple carbs - ie white flour and even fruit that has lots of sugar (high on the glycemic index)

Have you tried plain yogurt in your diet? Acidophilus? Grape seed extract?
I took all of those when I had a yeast infection during the 2 week wait before finding out I was pregnant. Acidophilus comes in pearls which is a great delivery system and can be found in any vitamin or health food store.

A gal on another board is not pg but also has comfort issues in her creases especially during the summer and she swears by a newer feminine powder - I think it is made by the monistat or vagisil people.

Good luck,
Keri

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'd check it out with your midwife/doc before taking grapefruit seed extract. I was told it wasn't safe while bf, so I'd guess it's not safe during pg too.

I have terrible yeast problems when nursing--thrush that just won't go away no matter what I do--and the only thing that finally got rid of the yeast was a probiotic I bought online called Threelac. You can only find it online, and it is pricey, but so worth it. No probiotic I bought at my local health food store did the trick. Diet and Diflucan didn't do it for me (and I took Diflucan daily for 4 weeks!). Once I started taking the Threelac . . . it was amazing how quickly it went away. Do a search online and you'll find many, many sites that sell it.

Good luck, mama!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Last preg and this preg, I dealt with yeast infections. Prior to last preg, I had been dealing with them for over a year, and my yeast was diflucan resistant.
: I had the best success with natural remedies... ACV/water sprayed on the vaginal area at potty breaks, diluted tea tree oil applied topically (dilute in an another oil, like olive oil), taking probiotics daily, etc. With all that, I finally squelched the yeast problem both times, even though that first time I'd had it for well over a year. AND... I didn't remove sugar from my diet (which I *should* do, but I'm a horribly picky eater so physically would not be able to eat a diet without yeast feeding foods - I'd die of starvation!
). Of course, changing your diet is a great idea if you're capable of it. I just honestly didn't think it was a safe option in my circumstance (especially while pregnant when you NEED food).

Are you seeing a midwife? If so, talk to her about natural remedies. If you're seeing an OB, you'll need to do the research on your own, since they'll just give you category C drugs if the OTC type stuff won't work.
I don't know what category Diflucan is, as I was taking that outside of pregnancy - took it several times and it never did a thing.

There was a good discussion about yeast treatments in the UC forum a couple months or so ago... now that the search feature is back up and running.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys! I will have to give some of the natural remedies a try. I am seeing an ob now which is why I am here. I do not like the idea of taking meds while I am pg much less a pill. Strange thing is that some days are better than others. Perhaps I will ask for a culture to see what we are dealing with.

Right now I cannot take eating yogurt, but perhaps I can find the active culture in a pill...I think I will give the other things a try before I change my diet. This has not been a problem until I was pg so perhaps it will go away with the birth.

Diflucan is a cat C drug...of coarse so is Tums...I am not sure what those mean really in the grand picture. I just dont like taking anything except food and vitamins.

Thank you again guys!

Sarah

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I've been pregnant for about a month and have basically had a yeast infection the whole time. I thought it went away (I had done about 5 days of a homeopathic suppository) but it is definitely back. How do you take probiotics? Are they in pill form? I think I will go after the acidophilus capsules because we are travelling right now and it is hard to get yogurt every day. And what is the ACV/water??? Sorry, I'm a little clueless here.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisie
I'm having the same problem. I've been pregnant for about a month and have basically had a yeast infection the whole time. I thought it went away (I had done about 5 days of a homeopathic suppository) but it is definitely back. How do you take probiotics? Are they in pill form? I think I will go after the acidophilus capsules because we are travelling right now and it is hard to get yogurt every day.
Acidophilus comes in every form imaginable. The one I took was called acidophilus pearls - there were teeny tiny pills in the bubble foil so it was kind of a flat box like you see for sinus meds, I got it at The Vitamin Shoppe, if you go in and ask for acidophilus pearls they will be able to tell you where they are. They are so small you don't even need water so they would be great while traveling. I took two twice a day when the yeast was really bad, when it got a little better I was taking one twice a day and then down to one, once a day until the package was gone.
I think for a lot of people diet is key - it just seemed silly to me to medicate myself (even with homeopatics) when what I was eating was just going to make it worse. Try to focus on protein and veggies and drinking lots of water.

Good luck!
Keri

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Quote:

How do you take probiotics? Are they in pill form?
I can't stand yogurt, so I take probiotics capsules. You can find them in the fridge section of your health food store. I like to get ones with lots of different organisms in them, not just acidophilus.

Quote:

And what is the ACV/water???
ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar

You mix it 50/50 with water (IIRC), and stick it in a peri bottle or a spray bottle. Then squirt it on yourself when you go to the bathroom. Alternatively, you can do a sitz bath in ACV/water mixture. Then you don't have to deal with it as often, but you need to sit in one place for a while, soaking.
I think the ACV changes the PH of your vagina so you're not as hospitable to yeast.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thank you for your help! I just now read this last post (thank you), but yesterday I bought the acidophilus pearls and have started taking them. Of course, it says on the back to "ask your physician about taking during nursing or pregnancy", so it is obviously safe to take, right?? I don't know that much about probiotics, except that they are good for you! Do you take them all the time just for good health?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am 25 weeks pregnant and also have a problem with yeast. I have had an extra amount of the thick white discharge. I was afraid it was a yeast infection, but when my midwife did a culture it came back negative. It doesn't itch much unless I can't take a shower or get too hot. I also had it the whole time I was pregnant with my son. I knew I was pregnant this time when the yeast started becoming noticeable and I have talked to several girls who have had the same problems during pregnancy. I think it is just horomones and no big deal though with my yeast.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I agree with all the PP about the vinegar and probiotics and reducing sugars.

Another thing that you can ask your doc for instead of Diflucan is Nystatin powder to sprinkle under areas like arms and breasts. Keeps you dry and stops yeast in its tracks.

Also, yeast will survive on towels and sheets and clothing. Get new ones or wash in the hottest water you can and dry on high.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.