Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find some articles that would disprove that a circumcision would prevent internal scarring from a yeast infection. This mother I know is convinced that her brother had a yeast infection which gave him scarring and it's because he wasn't circumcised. She wants to circumcize her son as a preventative. I can't seem to find anything on yeast infections and scarring or any relationship that circumcision has to this. Has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by julie anne
I am trying to find some articles that would disprove that a circumcision would prevent internal scarring from a yeast infection. This mother I know is convinced that her brother had a yeast infection which gave him scarring and it's because he wasn't circumcised. She wants to circumcize her son as a preventative. I can't seem to find anything on yeast infections and scarring or any relationship that circumcision has to this. Has anyone heard of this?
I'm just wondering how bad a yeast infection would have to get and how long it would have to go untreated in order to leave a scar of any kind?

This is purely speculation on my part, but is it possible that the brother had something a bit more, um..."social" and only told his sister it was a yeast infection?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Quote:
but is it possible that the brother had something a bit more, um..."social" and only told his sister it was a yeast infection?
My thoughts exactly.

And remind her that cut guys can get yeast infections too around their testicles (jock itch!), just under the glans (around the ridge is what I've seen most commonly).

·
Registered
371 Posts
I learn something new here every time I log on.

Balanitis
Apparently, repeated yeast infections can lead to scarring, and in these cases circumcision is recommended, but finding and counteracting the cause of the infection the first time it happens is a much preferable course of treatment.

I should think that creating an environment where the son feels comfortable enough with his parents to let them know if he has a problem early on would be a much better method of dealing with the prospect of yeast infections than permanent genital mutilation.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
The only reasons I can think of that a male would get repeated yeast infections would be:

1) Retracting the foreskin to clean under it and disturbing the natural flora balance. Easy to avoid, just don't retract baby's foreskin!

2) Something seriously out of whack in the immune system, like diabetes, causing huge sugar imbalance. Very unlikely to happen to a baby!

Seriously, cutting off part of her baby to prevent something that happened to her brother is just whacked. Does she know any women who had breast cancer? Would she cut off her dd's breasts to prevent the same thing happening to her?

The foreskin is not disposable, and she needs to learn about what it is and why it is such an important body part. There are no extra body parts - the foreskin comes standard on every normal male for a reason!!!!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had tried to do a search & came up with nothing. Some very good points were raised as well as a lack of hygiene being a very real possibility. I completely agree with preventative care.

BamaDude- Thank you! Thank you! Not only did you provide the info I had been trying to see even existed, but now I have a great site I can look up other medical ?s on.

All of your replies will be good ones to have this mother consider. Thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by julie anne
BamaDude- Thank you! Thank you! Not only did you provide the info I had been trying to see even existed, but now I have a great site I can look up other medical ?s on.
You are most welcome, Ma'am.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.