Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to shout it because they are driving me NUTS!! I had them mildly through my first pg with dd and around 27 weeks I finally caved and used Canesten because nothing else was working. They went away and I don't think I got another one until my cycles returned when she was 15 months. Then I got them off and on but I was able to use my natural remedies (mainly garlic orally and GSE) but I can't use the GSE now because the one I have specifically says not during pregnancy (and really NOT during pregnancy, this is not a warning. It has other stuff in it but thats' the one that worked).

So I got a HORRID one complete with the cheesy discharge and it was making me insane so at 12 weeks I did a 3-day course of Canesten again, and it went away. But now, a week or so later, I feel it again!!

I will probably go get a swab done so I can be sure it's yeast, though the discharge was pretty telling and I didn't have any of the smells normally associated with bacterial vaginosis.

What natural approaches have you used that have really worked?

I know my main trigger is citrus so I'm seriously staying away from it. And I'm doing my best not to indulge my cravings for sugar. I only eat whole grains, nothing refined, and though I'm not eating enough veggies right now my diet is pretty good. I'm eating a lot of yogourt and Bio-K in the mornings.

Any suggestions would rock! I have Aviva Jill Romm's book and she has some good stuff but I don't have all those herbs and I don't want to spend a fortune unless I know they will work!

TIA,
ILANA

·
Registered
892 Posts
ilana, i DO have suggestions THAT WORK!

1. sitz bath/hot shower. 2,3, 4 times a day, wash with soap and warm-to-hot water. make sure to get the soap and water "up there" (i get the water up there, do a kegel, then release). do this for a few minutes, making sure to get all of the yeast/discharge out. then, squat or put your leg up on the tub or sink and dry it out. (some use hairdryer, i just fan it with my hand). the itching will stop temporarily. if you work at home, whenever you feel the yeast return, repeat. this usually kills it within 1-2 days.

2. garlic/vitamin E. for severe cases, after your shower, take a peeled piece of garlic (pierce it all over with a knife tip too) and insert it, like a tampon. if it stings, try to bear it, because it's healing and killing the yeast like a magic bullet. break open a vitamin E capsule and rub that on any sore/infected skin to soothe. ((when you pee, the garlic will drop out)) ((this is "midwife approved" BTW))

3. in general, if you can get away with not wearing undies, that helps.

i used to get a YI every month, but now, when i feel it coming on, i do these things and i have eliminated them. i find that diet does little to affect it, but the showering / sitz bath thing is amazing. thru this PG i take 2 showers a day for maintenance. when i feel one coming on, i increase showers to 3 times a day and it never progresses past the slightest "warning itch"

d.

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
Yes, all of the above suggestions are great ones and I would only add to take some probiotics. I am very yeast prone also. I really limit bread, which helps a ton, take baths, more probiotics, etc.

Good luck!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In the end this time it was a probiotic insert that helped. I've been doing the garlic/washing thing for years but this yeast is strong stuff. I use garlic for everything, both internally and vaginally. It's great stuff!! Those are fantastic suggestions and hopefully they will start to work if this happens again. Hopefully things are a bit more balanced now that i'm using this probiotic insert.

Thanks all!

ILANA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts