Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(x-posted on TOA but I'm not getting replies there).

My dd has had a yeast rash on and off for at least a month. I've been using pro-biotics (orally) and putting her in 'sposies and using yeast infection cream. However, it's not going away, and when I don't put any cream on her and put her back in FB, she's getting blisters from the fabric rubbing against the rash (at least, I THINK that's why she's getting blisters. I guess the yeast could be causing the blisters?)

It's seriously been a MONTH and I feel terrible for my baby! Please tell me EXACTLY what to do to make it go away. Thanks

· Registered
2,467 Posts
I am so sorry for your little one! I am no cloth diaper expert by any means but I did have a problem with the yeasties when my dd was younger. My ped told me to boil diapers is using cloth - and my nursing bras since we had a thrush problem going on. I am sure other Mamas will have better replies but I couldn't read and not post!
It does sound like the yeast is in the diapers themselves since she is OK with sposies...Good luck, Mama!

· Registered
6,992 Posts
I know you can't boil FB because it is bad for the snaps and the pul. Have you washed them in SUPER hot water and tto? TTO should kill anything in the dipes. Good luck, yeast is one thing I've never had to deal with with my girls so I can't really offer much advice, sorry

· Premium Member
3,005 Posts
Have you tried adding vinegar to the rinse cycle? I find that yeast can survive washing and drying so using vinegar can really help kill the yeast in the diapers. Also you may need to go to a more natural fiber diaper like a cotton fitted with a wool cover. Sometimes babies react in the synthetic fibers of the Fuzzi Bunz. Good luck!
Wendi

· Registered
4,396 Posts
You would need so much TTO to kill the yeasties you would imediatly cause buildup on the fleece.
I would wash diapers on hot as normal, then do a long wash with a lot of vinegar added. Let the diapers soak for a while (30 minutes), then do another wash to remove the vinegar smell. Airing your childs bottom as much as possible will also help the rash dry up.

Have you actually seen a doctor to confirm the rash is a yeast rash not something else?

· Registered
1,480 Posts
We are battling thrush and it is recomended that they stay in cloth diapers. For my ds' rash the best thing has been letting him go barebutt and when I put change his diaper I use cloth wipes that have Grapefruit seed oil extract in, about 15 drops to 1/2 cup of water. I would NOT put vinegar in with you diapers. I let mine soak with 1 cup of Vinegar and we have had leaking problems with our fbs every since. I just washed ours in very hot water and then line dried them in the direct sunlight. I spoke with Dr. Jay Gordon the other day on the MDC chat about this very thing and he said if that doesn't work there is a baking soda mixture you can put on their rear.

· Registered
2,447 Posts
My son never had a rash of any sort until we tried Fuzzi Bunz. Within a week, he had a horrible rash, much like the one you described. We stopped using Fuzzi Bunz and used breast milk topically along with California Baby Calendula Cream and the rash cleared right up! Lots of kids are senstive to the fleece in FBs--after all, most fleece is made from recycled PLASTIC SODA BOTTLES! Having a synthetic next to the skin can cause a rash, even in adults--nylon underwear, etc. Having the fleece, which is much less breathable than cotton or hemp, next to the skin combined with hot, humid summer weather can be a disaster! We switched to OCV Swaddlebees and he has not had a rash since!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.