Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is 4 weeks old and today the ped said that her diaper rash was yeast related. She has had it for about a week, and in the last two or three days my nipples have become red and sore also. He gave me a perscripation for an ointment for her bottom and my nipples.

My question is that she has also be A LOT more fussy at the breast recently and gassy. I read that this could be related to the yeast over growth in her belly. since she did not have thrush present in her mouth, the doctor did not give her the oral medicine. Is there anything I can do to help balance her digestive system

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
you could add probiotics for both of you...there is also a thrush thread under BF issues (I think)...def worth a look. i had huge yeast issues with dd and leared a ton...feel free to PM me if you have more specific questions or want more info.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You could try drinking something with cranberries in it or eating cranberries them selves. There are also cranberry extract supplement you can take to help with the yeast infection. I wouldn't give it to baby though, it would most likely give her diarrhea, but she would get some of the same benefits from BF'ing.

Also you might try cutting out some of the sugar in your diet, yeast grows faster with sugar for food. At least that's what my midwife told me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
256 Posts
We had all of this with my DD, I cut out all simple sugars and everything but complex/unprocessed carbs, and took MASSIVE amounts of probiotics. She was a different baby once we were done, however, the full process took like 6 weeks. She was vastly improved after only three days, though. I also had a vaginal yeast infection, so i could tell when it was working on me. I gave DD probiotics, too, by shaking them up (the powder kind, Nature's Way Primadophilus, make sure the probiotics you choose have Bifidus Infantis in them, it's essential for baby) in a bottle of breastmilk. (Though you could mix them with some and spoon feed, if you don't do bottles.)

Look up candida diet or Specific carbohydrate diet to see the food regulations that are necessary to get rid of yeast.

Also, don't take diflucan for it(my brilliant OB's rec, after she told me babies couldn't have thrush/yeast
), it made mine better for a day and then SO MUCH WORSE!!

Good luck, baby and I felt so much better after the diet, I can't even describe it. And it cured my irritable bowel syndrome, which i'd had even before baby.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This week I've developed very sore, red, nipples with some swelling at the base. 3 lactation consultants have said it looks sort of yeast-y. The dr. prescribed me 2 ointments for myself, but I've decided (at the advice of a La Leche League leader and friend) to use gentian violet. It's purple, and stains everything. My nipples are purple and my dd's mouth is purple (just in time for picture time, huh?). She doesn't have any visible yeast, though. So I'm really hoping this heals my nipples and takes away the pain when she nurses. I am also applying a solution of 1 tbsp of white vinegar in 1 cup of water after feeding. It's all quite messy! Normally I would just "take the meds", and in this case it would be much easier. But I'm very excited to see if this more natural remedy works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.