Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with my dipes. We live on a farm with well water, which isn't really fit for drinking, but use for all our washing needs. We've never had a problem with it and we've lived here for a year now (my parents have lived here 15years with no problems).<br><br>
But now that I'm washing diapers, I've found that they're getting quite yellow and dingy. They're not stained from pee or poop, more the whole of the diapers are going a dingy yellow. I don't use bleach, but I do try and sun them at least once a week now that its nice (I try to hang every load, but that doesn't always happen).<br><br>
Any advice on how I can brighten up my dipes again? I know some people use a bit of bleach now and then, would that help? I'd like to try a non-bleach solution first if possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
you could try some oxygen bleach.<br>
and you might want to strip them, it sounds like iron/mineral build up.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I would try some oxyclean. You might also consider adding a "water softening" product like washing soda or baking soda or something... it might help in the long term.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
oxiclean works wonders for dingy stuff. FYI, the white bummis will never turn white again. They just yellow naturally...I don't know if you are using any or not...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I will try the Oxyclean, hopefully that will help. We have very soft water so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts