Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHEN will this end? He only takes ONE 20 minute nap some days (usually around noon, sometimes not until 2PM), then he doesn't sleep again until 8 or 9PM. Then he wakes up 7 or 8 times at night.

I think I might be going crazy. My husband is out of town for a few days and sometimes I can't even pee without having to hold my baby.
:

Also, I made the mistake of looking at mainstream websites concerning this and was shocked at the junk people do to their babies ("training them"
: to sleep, not changing them at night when they are wet and crying b/c it might "reward" them for being up at night)

Bah.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Norajane - you'll not really like my answer - I don't have a solution - just a commiseration! My DS #2 is 11 months and he's been "not napping" for several months. I seem to recall DS#1 went through a stage like this. And DS (both of them) are up every 30 minutes to 2-3 hours, depending on night. My own personal theory is that at this age they are hitting so many milestones (learning to crawl, stand, walk, eat, play, teething, making talking noises, etc etc) that they just can't sleep. A very un-scientific theory but that's what I think!

Doesn't help us one bit, though. I finally got DS to lie down for a nap (first one of the day) and I thought I'd be able to have a break just to do some laundry and get supper started. Wrong. 5 minutes later DS is up again, wide-eyed and ready for some action.

I don't know how they manage to stay awake, either!

DH works a lot of evenings and afternoon shifts so we don't see him that much, for days at a time. It's hard, isn't it? You just want that baby to sleep just to give yourself a short break.

Actually, the planets were aligned the other day - both my 4 year old (who never naps) and my baby fell asleep for an hour or so - at the same time. I couldn't believe my luck!

I hope this stage ends soon!

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Will your litttle one nap with you? I remember having to nap with my little one (now my oldest) around 10-12 months. I even have pics of us sleeping together in the recliner.

I knew she was over tired and it was a vicious cycle, so I finally in my own exhaustion but in a movie, put up the recliner and we both fell asleep. This worked o.k for naps
but not night time.

I remember doing the up and down (we never really co-slept with our first) all night long and no one got any sleep. Once she was walking she seemed to sleep better so I second the idea that when they are working on a new part of development they tend to have odd sleep patterns.

I hope it gets better for you and soon

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Gosh, I remember that age being the worst!! They're teething, separation anxiety kicks in (and it doesn't go away at night), they're making huge developmental leaps, there are growth spurts. I really know what you're going through...

I don't know if it will help, but I really wish I had found an article like this when my DD was younger. http://www.mothering.com/guest_edito...place/141.html

If I could do it all over again, one thing I wish I had done was hire a mother's helper--maybe a teenager or college student who could come over a few days a week and just HOLD my baby. I would still be right there, but at least I could sit down, maybe read a book for a bit, relax.

Hang in there. It does get better (although, I remember thinking that didn't help at all when I was in the middle of it).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.