Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately it's become quite obvious that I'm pregnant
winky.gif
So for some reason, people feel as though they can just touch, point, and smile at my belly. I don't mind the smiles, but the touching, and pointing, just gets a little annoying. I feel like I'm a walking fertility exhibit. I shouldn't really complain, I guess. But it's probably because I don't really enjoy a lot of attention, and i'm sort of private.

One woman at work last night said, "so this is your last, right? Any more than 3, and it just gets crazy."
nut.gif
I should've replied something like, "nah, we want at least 2 more." (totally not true at all, but it would've been fun to see her reaction)
winky.gif

Anywhoo, have a great sunday.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
People touch you, ick. I don't think that I've ever had someone (outside of a very close friend or family member) touch my belly. I must put off bad vibes or something, ha ha...

I had a lot of people say things after I had my DD like, "Oh, how nice for you, now you have one boy and one girl and you're done". Uhm, what business is it of yours how many kids I have? People make all sorts of assumptions and say them out loud.. I would often respond with, "no, we plan on having at least 8". It shuts them up. ;)

Reactions: augustmom

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I find myself as a walking conversation piece also- every old lady in the world wants to tell me how giant I am. I told one lady at Goodwill the other day I'm having triplets, and that would push my total number of kids to 9.

I get really tired of it, also.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Whenever people ask if we're done, I always say something super hippy-ish like "I don't know, we'll see what the moon and stars have in store for us, now won't we?" It throws them off and gives me a laugh. ;)

And when people ask me if I hope this one is a boy (we've gotten that and "Awww, I'm sorry's" from people when dd2&3 were announced to be girls) I think I will seriously respond "Well, if it is, we better start looking into the sex change operation right away! We don't do boys around here!" HeeHee I've also said "Actually, I really want a puppy!" and if someone is particularly rude or obnoxious and they catch me in a bad mood "I've had four babies die in utero, I'm generally just happy to see them born, no matter what is or isn't hanging around between their legs." :x That one's mean, and like I said someone has to be REALLY rude or obnoxious (like the girl that apologized more than once when I said DD3 was a girl and went on to say how mad her BF would be at her for having 3 girls in a row...), but it does the job of shutting people up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Ha ha! I need to come up with some funny ones. The only people who had tried or threatened to touch me yet I was kind of rude to. One was my MIL when I was only 9 weeks along. I'm 20 weeks now and barely have a smidgen of a bump. Surely at 9 weeks all she'd have been touching was my fat rolls. I backed right up out of her reach and said, "Nothing to see, nothing to feel." Then my boss has been staring at me for weeks. Just staring. We have a conversation and her eyes never leave my belly (kind of like the creepy guy whose eyes never leave your chest...it feels that weird). I finally told her on three different occasions it makes me uncomfortable and I thought she finally got the hint. Then a few weeks ago at happy hour (to which I was not invited because people were afraid I'd be "offended" but I went anyway just to be a b****) my boss was feeling pretty good and said to me, "Pretty soon I'm going to start touching your belly," and I said, "No, you're not." And she said, "What are you going to do about it?" and I said, "I'll call HR. There will be no touching." So far so good. She hasn't tried yet. Dear God. if it's not appropriate to stare at my stomach and touch me when I'm not pregnant, why is it suddenly fine to do so when I am pregnant? You're not touching my baby! You're just touching me!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hahaha... You ladies are cracking me up. :) I want to use your responses when people start saying things to me... So far, no comments from strangers.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
I haven't really gotten any uncomfortable comments from strangers in my past two pregnancies. I think largely b/c I didn't show for a long time and once I finally did show people were surprised to hear that I was much farther along than I looked. So comments generally ranged from "you're so tiny!" to "you need to eat more!" Granted, that second one wasn't really appreciated since I was already getting enough flack from my midwives about my lack of weight gain, but I felt it was better than "wow, you look like you're about to pop!" which some of my friends have gotten and complained about. I've never had a stranger touch or ask to touch my belly either, just friends and family, which I'm fine with generally. Though, I agree with you 2011mama what's to feel at 9 weeks?! That's a little weird.

But with this third pregnancy, I'm showing much much sooner. I've had a couple friends and neighbors say to me, "wow you're really showing now!" or "you've really popped out in the last two weeks!" That always makes me feel a bit weird. Like, "oh you're really huge all of a sudden!" I feel a little self conscious about it b/c I know I'm showing sooner due to poor muscle tone, so when people point out my larger belly I feel as though they are pointing out how out of shape I am. I know that's ridiculous... it's not what they're doing at all, but that's what pops into my mind anyway. My only comments back have been "well, I am almost half way done" or "yeah, I guess that's what happens the third time around." Not exactly zingers.
eyesroll.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.