Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Banned
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was thinking about this a lot lately and wanted to know what everyone here thinks.

I have a SID food aversion out the ying yang kiddo. If he eats during a day we celebrate. We encourage, cater to, and inevitably end up begging him to eat. He is almost 3. So lately it's been going fairly well, a couple of bites at each meal and a few bites of a snack everyday.

So does this put our kids who have eating problems so early at risk for eating disorders down the line? I have jokingly said to some of his case workers that it is almost like he is anorexic, now I wonder if there is a correlation. I know I may be worrying about nothing, but what do you think?

· Registered
3,031 Posts
The word "anorexia" by itself simply means not eating, so in a sense, I guess our kids are anorexic. But in everyday speech, anorexia is used to refer to anorexia nervosa, a specific condition that has a totally different cause than SID-type food aversion. Tho the results are alot the same, LOL. My understanding is that anorexia nervosa is a reponse to body image, control, anxiety, and self-esteem issues. It would be rare to see this in such a young child. SID related food aversions have more to do with the sensory aspects of the food itself - visual, taste, feel, etc. I doubt any specific studies have been done, but I would not expect to see these kids grow into anorexia nervosa as the causes are so different.

I do see a connection however in the amazing strength it takes to overcome the natural biological urge to eat. As I lack both SID and anorexia nervosa, I could never go for days without eating, like my son can. I would sooner eat food I actively dislike than starve. He, on the other hand, can see food he knows he might like, look longingly at it, but shake his head. Or other times a perfectly normal food appears repulsive to him I think. I wish I could know what goes on in the brains of these neurologically atypical kids. Or at least how to make the path easier.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.