Mothering Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I feel like our "natural toys" days are over. What I mean by that are gone are the days of wooden animals, wooden cars, and felt food. Fortunately, I make up for that by shopping at our local toy store, but I'm at a loss this year. He has a huge Playmobil castle, a bike, stilts, a swing, a scooter, a hamster, tinkertoys, a legos, Bakugans, etc. He broke his remote control car from last year by bringing it into the tub, after I told him not to, so he's not getting another one.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, what are you getting your 6yo boy this year that you are excited about? The only thing on our list right now is a possible drum kit.</p>

·
Registered
613 Posts
<p>I don't have a 6 year old boy, but I do know some younger boys and 6 or 7 was about the age they started getting into meccano and knex.</p>

·
Registered
299 Posts
<p>My 6 YO (7 in Jan) is a huge Lego fan so a big portion of his list is Lego sets and other building toys. He is also getting his first actual erector set. Board games, spy gear, science kits, robots, nerf guns (if you allow those), bey blade -- those are all popular with both my 6yo and his older brother.</p>

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
<p>What about board games?</p>
<p>Good games for this age:</p>
<p><a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FCranium-Cadoo-Kids-Board-Game%2Fdp%2FB000L8LZ0U%2Fref%3Dsr_1_2%3Fie%3DUTF8%26s%3Dtoys-and-games%26qid%3D1290140192%26sr%3D1-2" rel="norewrite" target="_blank">Cranium Cadoo</a></p>
<p>Monopoly/Monopoly Jr.</p>
<p>Uno or other card games</p>
<p>Guess Who?</p>
<p>Connect 4</p>
<p>Checkers/Chess</p>
<p>A game we love that really gets kids moving is <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FWild-Planet-46001-Hyper-Dash%2Fdp%2FB000TTPEXU%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3Fie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1290140128%26sr%3D8-1" rel="norewrite" target="_blank">Hyperdash</a>.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Lego makes some games that I haven't tried, but if he's really into lego, that might be a nice thing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>What about something like a marble run (we've got a cool one by Quercetti), or Knex? (OK, they have a gazillion small parts - maybe a wooden marble run?)</p>

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
<p>Keva Planks are my obsession this year.  My kids played with those for hours - two days in a row - at a museum in San Diego.  They are spendy, but worth it IMO.  It is a 'toy' that will last a lifetime, literally.  I  am going to hit up both sets of grandparents for a set of planks, and we will give all three kids a set.  You really need at least a thousand planks to do anything cool.  I need to start looking ASAP for the best deal on them that I can find...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My ds adores Legos, and to a lesser extent Knex (but I know other 6 yos who adore Knex)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Snap Circuits.  Ds got this for Christmas last year and still plays with it on a regular basis. </p>

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>Thanks for the ideas.</p>
<p>The Erector sets look cool, but I definitely follow age recommendations because he's not advanced with building. He gets frustrated too easily right now.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Does anyone have Zoobs? The local toy store has a giant box of Zoobs. The big set is $90, so it would be his big present. He would probably love a giant Lego building set, too. Those get pretty pricey.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>*I* want the Playmobil pirate ship :)  Dh thinks we don't have room for another big Playmobil piece.</p>

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
<p>Can I post what I'm considering for my 6 yr old girl?  ;)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>xylophone (not toy)</p>
<p>binoculars or monocular</p>
<p>remote control playmobil delivery van</p>
<p>craft supplies</p>
<p>lots of books</p>
<p>card and or board game</p>
<p>one of those sets where you chip away the hard sand stuff to find semi-precious stones (what are those called, lol?)</p>
<p>beyblades (only because her best friend - an 8 yo boy - has suddenly become obsessed with them, and so she's asking for some... I actually suspect she wouldn't be that into them).</p>

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
<p>We are RENTING a nice quality drum set,a nd setting up lessons.  DD wants to play guitar and I will most likely purchase it.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Legos are a favorite,and he has a huge erector set already, but those are fun.  Lego sets are pricey, usually around a hundred for the decent sized ones, less or more depending on how many pieces. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>He always likes dress up costumes, so does DD.  They have TONS of star wars, super heros, fairies, knights, etc. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Books. DS likes informative type books, even dictionaries LOL</p>
<p> </p>
<p>They both really love special homemade things, so I'm trying to think of something to make them. Possibly a nice tote bag or something they can use.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ETA: not sure how advanced with building type things/reading yours is. The gifts further motivate DS educationally as well.  DH has turned the Lego Mindstorms in to physics/math lessons without him knowing it.  We got him those last year, this year he is 6.5 and can use it more independently.  This year I plan to get him a lego technic set because those are easily adapted to the mindstorm set</p>

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
<p>My ds will be 6 in March and the main thing he wants is a train set. He is really into trains & loves going to model railroad shows so we're going to get him a beginner train set with remote control.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He LOVES Lego & we have a ton of it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He is also asking for the board games Perfection and Hungry Hungry Hippos. He likes to play Checkers and card games like Memory Match & Go Fish. He also loves superheros (Spider Man & Superman) and his marble run. I love the marble run LOL it's fun, I saw a cool one with electronic elevator but I can't justify getting that since the one we got is really good and I got it for $2 at a yard sale :D</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He's also getting some books as he's a very avid reader.</p>

·
Registered
274 Posts
<p>My DS is 5.5.</p>
<p>-He is into building and launching model rockets with my husband. It's a great bonding activity and science lesson too. Our local hobby shop sells them. I was surprised just how cool it was myself</p>
<p>-TJ Maxx and our local toy shop have lots of science experiment kits-he's getting one of those. I also saw Magic kits at TJMAXX today for reasonable.</p>
<p>-I also got a $14.99 cardboard rocket playhouse that the kids can paint/color at Target and then use for pretend play. It's over 4feet tall. They also had a playhouse and a castle playhouse.</p>
<p>-We got Slamwich card game, Guess Who, and Ravensburger game (can't recall the name-has roads, bridges, etc. We already have Jenga and it's a favorite</p>
<p> </p>
<p>-Citiblocks were on sale at Toys R Us the last time I was there-they are awesome and endless possibilities.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>_I almost bought Zoobs today-they had all different sized kits. But I got a Wedgit set instead. I wasn't sure about the zoobs.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>-he's also getting leogs, books, Matchobx space shuttle. .and I caved and bought an inexpensive hotwheels track. </p>

·
Registered
299 Posts
<p>About Zoobs -- they are cool and have gotten a good bit of play around here, BUT they break easily. If you step on them you break them (at the connection point, which is thin plastic). So our set is considerably depleted after two years. Legos, K'nex, Bionicles, etc. are much more durable IMO. Oh, and Wedgits (mentioned above) are awesome great for all ages.</p>

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
<p>My boys aren't 6 yet, but will be in February. We're having mostly a star wars christmas. This is the first year we're dealing with the smaller action figures, and all the stuff that come with them. I've also picked up some playmobil knights for their collection.  They are getting a sleeping bag each also,  plus what ever goes in their stockings.</p>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts