Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy some leaf lard (pastured, organically fed, etc.). It comes in one pound packages and I'm trying to figure out how much to buy. I know I need to melt it down in a crock pot, strain it and then put it in the fridge. I'm just trying to figure out the yield? Any experience on this?

· Registered
997 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
I have an opportunity to buy some leaf lard (pastured, organically fed, etc.). It comes in one pound packages and I'm trying to figure out how much to buy. I know I need to melt it down in a crock pot, strain it and then put it in the fridge. I'm just trying to figure out the yield? Any experience on this?

I asked my DH your question, as he is the one who buys leaf lard and renders it for us, and he said to expect to end up with about 75 to 80% usable lard when it renders down. The other 20 to 25% is the remnants ("cracklins," etc.).

· Registered
1,732 Posts
Ooh, maybe I'll buy some leaf lard next week after all.

Last week there was lard at the farmer's market for $2/pound - choice of a 4-pound brick of pre-rendered regular, or a wrapped package of leaf lard that I'd have to render myself. Chose the regular, since its not for delicate baking, but was intrigued by the leaf.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.