Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do! I went through this with DD1 and we never really solved her issues with rashes, but she's nearly potty trained now so it's not an issue with her anymore. I don't remember the rashes starting this early though, and I didn't think they would because they have totally different types of skin. Anyway, the rash is red with raised bumps on her entire diaper area in the front, and a little on both cheeks, too. I used Butt Paste for about 2 days and that didn't do anything visably, so I tried Aquaphor once (didn't seem to do anything but I only used it once) and now I'm trying miconizole (an antifungal). I'm tempted to get out the antibacterial cream that DD1 was prescribed that seemed to work okay sometimes (better than anything else we tried).<br><br>
Diapers don't need to be stripped, there are no bubbles when washed on hot with no detergent. We use a vinegar rinse and Bi-O-Kleen liquid detergent. I used a tiny bit of bleach the other day in the wash (1/4 cup) just in case it was a fungus to try to kill it. Diapers do smell amonia-y, but that is mostly big sis's diapers not baby's. Can't figure that one out, have tried everything to get rid of the smell. We use flannel fitteds and nylon or PUL covers, though I have been using some wool as well.<br><br>
Any suggestions of what to do next? The rash looks painful! (she's diaperless hanging over my shoulder right now, but I'm not brave enough to keep that up for long) Thinking about sewing a wool mat to put underneath her so she can be nekked bummed more often, but I hold her most of the time so I don't know how often we can go diaperless. I've considered EC but that doesn't really fit with our lives, but I'll do it if I have to.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Try setting your washer for a small load on hot. Run a complete cycle with nothing added and watch for suds or cloudy water. If you see anything but totally clear water, then you have build up. I think fitteds are a lot more prone to build up than prefolds. Hot water and a small load setting will sometimes expose build up that a larger cold rinse will not. I was amazed at how many suds I got when I tried it on a small hot load, where otherwise we had none on a large, cold one. I think it has something to do with them really beating against each other in the hot water.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Could it be a yeast infection ???<br><br>
I've seen a bad yeast infection on a little guy who had cloth diapers...it looked like a nasty rash and obviously wouldnt go away with diaper creams<br><br>
Something to look in to

1 - 5 of 5 Posts