Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DH has been complaining of deep calf pain for about a week. We've been massaging and stretching to try to relieve what we both thought was a cramp or strain. Then, night before last when he came home from work, his calf and ankle were swollen and warm. He went to work yesterday despite my urging him to call his doctor. Last night the lower leg was still swollen and warm, and a bit tender to the touch. It wasn't hurting any more or less when he walked or stood on the leg, which made me worry a little. Well, this morning, at the site of the pain, he's developed a bright red, flat skin discoloration along with the swelling and warmth. It's classic presentation for deep venous thrombosis. And he STILL WENT TO WORK AND REFUSES TO CALL HIS DOCTOR.

What can I do? I'm terrified.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He won't keep the appt if I make it for him. He's a chef, and a workaholic, and he thinks the restaurant will fall down if he's not there for 14.5 hours a day. So staying off the leg is not in his game plan, despite me trying to scare him into going to the doc.

His company just changed insurance providers, and he's never even seen his new Kaiser doctor. Doesn't even know the guy's name. I tried to call his old doctor and he told me to hang up, because that's not his doc anymore and we won't have the money for the co-pay until tomorrow (payday).

I guess I should tell him to take some aspirin.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My DH hates going to the dermatologist to get moles removed. But it's really important. I mean, if he gets melanoma, he could die, remote, but still. Whenever he starts to pitch a hissy fit about it, first of all, I make the appointment. Then, when I tell him about it, I always tell him gently, "I'm worried about you because I love you. You are my world and I would be devestated if anything ever happened to you, especially if I knew it could have been prevented. Please go. For me." That's always made him agree to go.

If that didn't work, I might pull out the big guns: speak to his supervisor. This sounds like a really big deal and if it is DVT, he could die, you know? I don't mean to scare you, but he needs to go to the doctor and you agree with that. Call his super and say you're worried about your husband. Describe the problem, how serious it is and say that he refuses to go to the doctor because he's worried about his job. Maybe his supervisor will say something to him and he'll go. Just a thought. He might be mad at you in the short-term, but if it is DVT, he'll be thankful in the long-term.

Also, I've heard if you suspect DVT you aren't supposed to massage it because it could dislodge the clot. Anyone more knowledgable know? Midwives, anyone?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post
Also, I've heard if you suspect DVT you aren't supposed to massage it because it could dislodge the clot. Anyone more knowledgable know? Midwives, anyone?
Yeah, that's absolutely right, and I wouldn't have been doing massage with him if I had suspected DVT at that point! Which is another thing that just makes me nervous.

He said he's just going to go into work to do the schedule and write the tasting menus for this weekend, and then he's going to come home. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I hope you can get him to the dr soon. An U/S will quickly show it.
My dd had a DVT after her heart surgery in April and she had Lovenox shots and asprin for 3 months and it is still swollen. She has to go for another U/S in two weeks to see if the lovenox is needed again.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
He needs to go now. As someone who's come back from the other side of a pulmonary embolism (I have a blood clotting disorder and had a stealth DVT), I can tell you it's not pleasant... but I was very lucky to have survived. Ask him how the restaurant would do if he's dead. Sorry to make it sound so harsh. I would either call his doctor for him and see if the doctor will call him, or get together with other family members and friends (if appropriate) and go get him. Now.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Its easy to figure out who ones Dr is through Kaiser OR you can just pick a new one.

But because you dont have time to wait for a password to be sent to you, search Kaiser web site to see what dr you want then call and make an appoinment.

Co-pays are $10 or $15

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They initially tried to give him an appt tomorrow morning, and I thought about that for a few minutes and then called them myself. Now he has an after-hours appointment at 5:30 this evening. When I described his symptoms to the call nurse, she was as worried as I was (which makes me feel less crazy).

He's coming home from work, at least.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK ... well, I was right.

DH was seen at the Kaiser afterhours facility yesterday evening. His D-dimer was positive for clotting activity, though his CBC and other bloodwork looked OK. He was given a shot of Lovenox in the abdomen and told to rest. He's having an ultrasound this afternoon, and has a regular physical this morning. More than likely he'll have to do once-a-day Lovenox injections for a week or so, followed by a couple of months of oral Coumadin. I just hope the doctor scares the crap out of him and spurs him on to make some lifestyle changes.

His boss was less than sympathetic (really obnoxious, in fact), and we're both really pissed about that. The job hunt is imminent.

I'm just so glad he believed me when I told him it was serious.

Thanks for all the prayers and good vibes, y'all.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
So glad he went!! Unbelievable about his boss, though! You would think they wouldn't want their employee's seriously injured, you know? Sounds like he's a real UA violation. Sorry you had to deal with him.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, so, they couldn't find a clot on the ultrasound. Now they think it's a ruptured Baker's cyst (in the poplineal joint of the knee). I don't understand why the d-dimer came back positive though, and that kind of bothers me. The stated causes for a positive d-dimer test are recent surgery, sedentary lifestyle, advanced age (none of which he is/has), and malignancy, vascular disease, and liver failure. So ... eh?

He's to have a physical Monday morning.

I'm confused.

:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.