Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
One factor holding back donations appears to be a widespread belief that vacationers were swept away as a form of divine retribution for their un-Islamic or immoral lifestyles. That argument was heard in televised Friday prayers across the Arab world.
Oil rich countries lack of donations

Quote:
Added to Kuwait's $10 million, the United Arab Emirates' $20 million and gas-rich Qatar's $10 million, the total pledges by the four oil producers reached $70 million, compared with about $500 million a day in oil revenues, Al Jazeera's Web site reported.
Where is the critizism over this lack of compassion and giving. I've listened to America get hammered on a daily basis, but what about this? Does this attitude not bother anybody?

Quote:
He described the pledges made Wednesday by Germany of $674 million and by Australia of $810 million as "phenomenal" and thanked all the donors. "Be with us in the long term," he urge
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,143456,00.html

Quote:
NEW YORK - From antibiotics to clothes to cash - lots of it - U.S.-based relief groups report an overwhelming response from donors moved by the devastation of the Indian Ocean tsunami, with more than $200 million raised as of Tuesday.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,143384,00.html This is in addition to what the government pledged.

Just look around at the generosity and compassion of the rest of the world and I think it is time to hold these other countries accountable for their lack of compassion.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:
Just look around at the generosity and compassion of the rest of the world and I think it is time to hold these other countries accountable for their lack of compassion.

How exactly does one do that?

I hold my *elected* officials accountable through voting, email, phone calls, letters, protests, etc... Besides the UN, which you are all for dismantaling, and random wars, which I cannot support, exactly *how* do you hold a country accountable for not "sharing"?

Additionally, exactly what does the comparison between the amt of their oil reserves and the amt of charity have to do with ANYTHING? Is that how we determine charitable responsibility--- how much your oil reserves are worth? Seriously.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I suspect this will be the one and only time, but I actually agree with her. Why is the US the only one being taken to task publically? Saudia Arabia's elite live like princes. They could each afford to donate millions. And yet they don't. Frankly, no one is going to start taking these governments/regimes seriously unless they start acting like contributing members of the world community.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I'm confused as to why a topic like this would be closed. I'm sorry I missed the other thread. Catching up from the holidays means not so much computer time for me.

If world criticisms of the US's charity total is appropriate for world discussion, I don't see why a discussion of countries MUCH closer to the disaster shouldn't also have their totals critiqued.

For example, I read an interesting editorial article discussion how China really dropped the ball. Next to the US, they have the largest fleet in the area and could've been there to help with water, etc, and they didn't. They apparently were only concerned with trumping Taiwan's $$ donation by a few million. Taiwan = small, China = big.

Again, I really don't know why a moderator would be already "threatening" to close this thread.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
It's not the questioning of other countries' contributions that is the problem. They SHOULD be contributing more and shame on them.

It's saying that we shouldn't talk about the US because other countries are doing poorly that is the problem.

Unless one is a radical nationalist, in which case all criticism of the United States is always out of order.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Well, at the moment the most generous private donors aren't American, Bayviewbill. According to Sleeping Queen's post, $200 million has been raised so far by private donors. In the UK £78 million, which is at least $150 million I think, has been raised, and the British population is 60 million, a lot less than the American population, so in terms of donations per head of population...

But honestly, "we've shared more than them" threads?

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bayviewbill33

I wonder if the competiton is to kiss the a$$es of the Muslims so those large contributors won't get attacked. I hope the affected Muslims see that their rich oil kin are donating very little in a time of great need. This is unfortunate because it will probably be a rallying cry for the radicals.
I think its terribly sad that this has become a political issue. I really doubt that those people who have lost everything, including their children and babies, are going to notice or care where help has come from. As it stands now, it doesn't seem to matter how much money has been pledged to help, the people who need help aren't getting it. Injured people are dying in hospitals, children are starving, because the aid can't get to where it needs to be

·
Registered
13,153 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gethane
I think its terribly sad that this has become a political issue. I really doubt that those people who have lost everything, including their children and babies, are going to notice or care where help has come from. As it stands now, it doesn't seem to matter how much money has been pledged to help, the people who need help aren't getting it. Injured people are dying in hospitals, children are starving, because the aid can't get to where it needs to be
And that is exactly why the last thread was closed, gethane. It is just too disrespectful and petty to politicize this when babies are crying for their mothers.

And mothers empty arms ache for their children.

And everybody is hungry and homeless.

·
Banned
504 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaryLLL
And that is exactly why the last thread was closed, gethane. It is just too disrespectful and petty to politicize this when babies are crying for their mothers.

And mothers empty arms ache for their children.

And everybody is hungry and homeless.

Amen, Amen, and Amen. Let's stop politicizing and just focus on getting these people what they need.

Jenny

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Quote:
Saudi telethon raises $77 million
Thursday, January 6, 2005 Posted: 9:10 PM EST (0210 GMT)
(CNN) -- A telethon for tsunami victims on Saudi state-run television has raised more than $77 million, and the Saudi-based Islamic Development Bank pledged an additional $500 million for affected countries.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapc...hon/index.html

Quote:
It will interesting to see which country will have the most private donations. My guess is the USA

Quote:
Americans polled offer more prayer than cash
70 percent surveyed said U.S. doing enough for tsunami victims
Thursday, January 6, 2005 Posted: 8:56 PM EST (0156 GMT)

(CNN) -- Almost three-quarters of Americans surveyed in a poll released Thursday have prayed for victims of the southern Asia tsunamis, but when it comes to cash donations, only 45 percent have pulled out their wallet
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/06/tsu...oll/index.html

·
Registered
359 Posts
I Hate to do this...but....humanitarian aid IS political.

I have been an activist for African AIDS victims for years. The same amount of people who died in the tsunami die every several weeks in Sub-Saharan Africa from AIDS. Millions of children are orphaned. 3.4 million people have died in the war in Congo. There hasn't been any outpouring of emotion for those suffering.

I seriously don't mean this to negate the suffering of those in Asia (and Somalia, which was also hit seriously) I'm fundraising for them too. Only to prove the point that aid is always political and never directed towards those who need it most.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Ditto, Sharksmum.

150,000 dead?

There are 150,000 children dying every week in Africa from PREVENTABLe diseases.

But yeah, people don't get involved in that because it's political, it's complicated, it's not one big one off event.

Not to trivialize the sufferings in the affected areas. Interested by the contradictions in compassion that this throws up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.