Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and i have settled on a first name for baby.

Genevieve, Ginny as a nickname.

what do you all think?

we need to pick 2 or 3 more names to go with as it will be a double barreled first name plus 1 or 2 middle names,

so far we have Genevieve-Rose

Kiz

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I haven't seen it spelled that way...did you want to go with a unique spelling? I was given the name "Rachael" as a child and I always hated that people never spelled it right...it was always written as "Rachel". I was really annoyed with my parents for spelling it in a unique way. And I changed my name completely as an adult.

Would you consider the more usual spelling of "Genevive"?

Just a thought. I like Genevive but I don't prefer Ginny. Jenny is somehow different and better in my opinion, but you should go for what you like.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
I like it and agree that alternate spellings can get annoying for the child.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i didnt realise i had it spelled wrong, Namwvoyager as it listed as
Genevieve so the spelling was a real error on my part, sorry about that.

as for alternate spellings, they dont bother me, my name is an alternate spelling, as are my 2 older children's names.

Kiz

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
organicmommy.You are in the uk aren't you?and being British myself I know that is how it is spelt over there as I knew a couple.(I am firmly planted stateside now)It is also the French way of spelling it and isn't that where it came from?
This is top of our list (spelt your way
) with the nickname of Evie.I think that Rose goes great. That is also on our middle name list for it along with Mae,Olivia,Faith and Grace.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onemagicmummy View Post

what do you all think?

we need to pick 2 or 3 more names to go with as it will be a double barreled first name plus 1 or 2 middle names,

Kiz
Love the name and have always seen it spelled the way you have it - Genevieve.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i originaly had it spelled Geniveve, which was incorrect, imade a mistake so i edited the original post.

DH and i talke earlier and i asked what about Genevieve-Renee Rose he said it sounds nice. i think we will leave it at that for now cos if i over think it i will change my mind.

thanks for all the input

Kiz

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Love the final update! I love the classic spelling and I think it's a beautiful name. Coming from French-speaking Canada, I prefer the traditional pronunciation, but I understand that it's difficult to pronounce if you don't speak French. I like Genevieve-Renee Rose as a complete name

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Onemagicmummy View Post

what do you all think?

Kiz
I like it too..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Genevieve is my "official" first name (I go by middle name), and I get lots of compliments when people hear it. It seems uncommon without being strange or too exotic.

I've never seen the spelling "Genevive".. that seems to be more of an alternate spelling.

Love your choice of Ginny for the nickname - definitely prefer it over Jen / Jenny (but I could be biased.. avoiding Jen/Jenny is why my parents started calling me by my middle name as soon as we moved to the states).

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
i love the name, and NO it's not misspelled, it's "Genevieve". I think the traditional French pronunciation is more like john-vee-ehv, but here in the states it will be jenn-i-veeve

I only avoided it b/c i hate the nickname jenn--personal reasons

Ginny is a supercute nickname, if a bit Harry-Potterish!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the nick name evie is a good one, but a i have an Evangeline who gets called Evie its gonna be a bit strange having 2 evie's lol

Krystal323 lol at the Harry Potterish comment, it woud be a bit ironic of me to use Ginny as a nickname as i went to great pains to find an alternative name for DS2 as i was going to call him Harry, but as he was due around the time the 2005 HP movie was out i looked for a different name as i didnt want people thinking i was naming him after Harry Potter, we called him Harrison, as it worked out he was born exactly one week before it was out, and we took him to see it, he slept the whole time, it was lovely.
Kiz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.