Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all!

i have the option of going to a regular yoga class or a prenatal yoga class. is there any reason why i shouldn't go to the regular class? my hesitation with going to the prenatal class is that i'm only 4 weeks along, and i'm not really out to too many folks irl in my community (and i may run into someone)...although i'd risk this without question if it was better for the bun.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
704 Posts
It depends really on the yoga you are taking. How strenuous it is, etc. I am doing Iyengar yoga this time, and the instructors seriously modify some of the poses for me while pregnant. That said - I didn't "come out" to them about my pregnancy until I was almost 10 weeks or so...

ETA - first time around I did strictly prenatal yoga. I was concerned about being "outed" and so didn't sign up till 2nd tri. The yoga was GREAT and I feel really helped me prepare for delivery. I was sad to have missed out on the extra weeks of it though...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi,
I went to regular yoga classes until I was about 5 months along and then started the pre-natal classes. As long as I felt comfortable doing the positions, I went right ahead. Some things to avoid as you get farther along:

- laying on your back (try to lay on your left side during final asanas)
- no deep twists
- I also avoided things like upward facing dog, cobra as I was further along becuase they just weren't comfortable

Also, I did inversions until I was about 5 or 6 months. I think there are varied schools of thought on this. my instructor was comfortable with doing whatever I was capable of that didn't cause discomfort. I think alot of it is based on how strong your yoga practice is before you were pregnant.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My experience:

There are no prenatal yoga classes at my gym.

I take a yoga/pilates/tai-chi blended class 2X a week. I have been taking this class for 2.5 years now. Tomorrow I will be 35w. I didn't tell anyone I was pg until I was just about 12w. Early on, I had some round ligament pain when I did planks. I modified them and used my knees instead of my toes. The other thing that bothered me the further along I got was the pressure in my pelvis while doing things flat on my belly on the floor (pilates back tracks with some yoga). That's when I told them. My option is pointers and frankly I am *sick* of them
. I was able to do the abs track until about 25 weeks, there is one 'release' that I can still do the ab track in (using options) because you are never on your back in it-it is all planks. Also about 25w I had issues with the hip tracks, which I modify as well. Now my big 'ol belly is in the way alot and most things I modify but I enjoy going still because the breathing is such a help.

At this point I think as long as you are comfortable attending the regular class then there is no reason not to. From what I've heard about prenatal yoga, is that its not that challenging & at this point you may still want the challenge. If I were you I'd stay in the regular class and switch to the pn class after I was 20w or so.

HTH

Heather

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Definitely go to the regular. The prenatal classes I've been to are pretty laid back and more focused on preparing your body for birth. I was able to do regular yoga until about 22 weeks.

If you feel comfortable, just tell the teacher ahead of time so they can give you any modifications. But really the only things I've heard is that you should do twists only VERY gently, and avoid doing the plough (although I didn't know that and did it at 6 weeks, DD is all good). Poke around online and you'll find what you're not supposed to do.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm starting a regular yoga class tonight at 26 weeks. I'm so excited because I haven't been able to go for way too long and my local resources for really good classes are limited. I trust the instructor as she is very experienced and well trained so I know she will let me know what modifications I need to make.

I would definitely let her know you are preg but also ask her to be discrete as you aren't "out" about it yet.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Hi all,
I am a Bikram Yoga student and I'm doing it with modifications and monitoring myself well.
That being said, I went to a very low key non-Bikram class this weekend and when they started doing "breath of fire", I was told not to do it when pregnant because it can cause contractions. Has anyone heard they should avoid this?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Have fun!

I stayed with my regular group until the end of the first trimester. Then I felt more confident with the pregnancy and switched to the prenatal class. The prenatal class is wonderful because it is a lovely community of pregnant women. the yoga is nice, but it is the gathering that I look forward to most each week.

ND

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.