Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All are welcome here. Come join us in our quest for health and happiness.
Feel free to join the discussion, or just ask a question. We're here to support all Mamas in their yoga journeys.

Hello Ladies!! Those of us with school-age kids will appreciate this time of year. It's "back-to-school"! Schedules and routines will be changing. Less daylight hours as we transition to Fall. Time to re-vamp our yoga routines. Fall can be a tough season for people, so we need to do lots of grounding poses such as Tree, Warriors, and Pyramid.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Subbin'.

I leave Monday for NM and teacher training! Whoo hoo!

Excited and nervous. . . where's the nervous smilie??

Christine

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Hello! I am really interested in learning yoga. I am in the Army so we do a lot of running, push-up, sit-ups and basically just abuse our bodies daily so I want something that's relaxing and helps me stretch out when I actually get to work out on my own. Can anyone suggest a good begginer level book or video for someone who is uncoordinated and unflexible that I can do at home? I'd love to take a class, but I work 50+ hours a week so when I'm not working I just want to be at home, lol!

TIA!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Trish -

If you're just starting out, I would recommend a video. Make sure you watch it through once before trying it, and then you'll have a sense of how to come into/out of the poses.

There are so many styles of Yoga - I'd go to amazon and type in "Beginner
Yoga DVD," and then read the comments/reviews to help you pick one that speaks to you, personally.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes. . . .

Christine

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Subbing here.

I do Yoga daily (mornings) while my 3 year old watches me. She's now starting to imitate some poses (Child's pose, downward dog...) and I was wondering if there was a good book out there for yoga for children? Or can they do pretty much the same exercises for adults?

Is there a yoga/yogi smilie existing here on MDC? (just wondering...)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Lisa - Mostly all packed. There's a load of asstd laundry (stuff I wore y'day and am wearing today) that needs to be washed and packed, but that's it. I love love love being in a new place, exploring there, having adventures, etc., but the process of traveling sometimes nearly lands me in the loony bin!
:
:

Thanks for asking!
:

I'm having trouble finding a back up teacher for Eagle Creek, but I for sure have classes lined up at Lotus Heart in Carmel, Source in Fishers, and N.A Noel's retored Church in Zionsville (it's a new branch of Eagle Creek's Peace through Yoga). I'm so excited!

Christine

·
Banned
11,594 Posts
i actually prefer books to videos for beginners--but beyond this, i prefer teachers to videos or books any day.

aside from that, children can learn the same poses as adults, but we tend to focus less on alignment of those postures until they're about 8-10. at first (ages 3-7, typically), we focus on the basic shapes, the feelings of it, and using it to develop coordination. it's great for neurological cross-referencing development.

so, i would simply invite her to try the things that you are doing, and whatever the 'alignment' simply compliment her and ask her if she enjoyed it and what not.

i've been practicing yoga since i was 4 (before then, but i only remember from 4 on). My mother taught me--without books. We got our first yoga book when i was 14; i didn't see my first yoga video until i was 20. I didn't go to my first official 'yoga class' taught by a 'yoga teacher' until i was 18.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Ladies! How is everyone adjusting to the new schedules? I'm enjoying only having one child for a few hours, before I pick my 2nd oldest up from preschool at 11:30. Then, I have 2 kids until 3:30 when I pick up my oldest from 1st grade. I'm able to get in some yoga in the morning, and feel great for the rest of the day.
I'm also teaching more than ever, so we'll have to see how this all plays out. I don't want to over-extend myself, or my hubby.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.