Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why the bedtime tea is not recommended for pg or nursing....<br><br>
My midwife recommended a valarian or chamamile or blend for sleep/hormones etc.<br><br>
I hadn't seen valarian when I was looking around as a supplement or tea so when I saw the bedtime tea I grabbed it.<br><br>
I forgot to look at the label b4 i bought the tea, but noticed it after brewing a cup.<br><br>
Ingredients:Valerian Root Extract, Passion Flower Extract, Proprietary Blend of Herbs: Organic Licorice Root,<br>
Organic Spearmint Leaf, Organic Chamomile Flower, Organic Skullcap Leaf, Organic Cardamom Seed, Organic Cinnamon Bark, Organic St. John's Wort Leaf and Flower, Organic Rose Hips, Organic Raspberry Leaf, Organic English Lavender Flower, Stevia Leaf, Natural Orange Flavor.<br><br>
Jessica

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Licorice Root is an abortificant. If you look closely, you'll see that any herbal tea with LR will say it shouldn't be used during pregnancy. I'm not sure about the Valerian Root itself, I always thought you weren't supposed to drink it during pregnancy, but all I can find now is stuff that says there just isn't enough information on it to say that it's 100% without a doubt safe.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but do you think it is actually in the tea in a high enough doseage to be of concern??<br>
I'm thinnking probably not.<br><br>
My midwife okayed the valerian, so I don't think it is that...??<br><br>
Jessica

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I would think that even if valarian is the primary ingredient, you should stay away from it b/c it has other stuff that's contra-indicated for pg women. I've also seen St. John's Wort labeled as not for pg women - my DH takes it daily and was oh so sad that he can't rope me into taking it during the 3rd trimester funk.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not going to have any more tea, but I was worried since I had had one cup.<br><br>
I'm just not having any luck finding valarium anywhere but really need to decrease my moodiness and help my restlessness, zombieness.<br><br>
zombieness.... At night I don't really get tired, but I can get sidetracked and it will be 12 or 1 before I realize how late it is, then I can't fall asleep and then I wake up early 4 or so and take a while to get to sleep too. I watched some tv the other night too (not something I typically do) and wasted time flipping channels before I realized how much time had past.<br><br>
Not so fun on top of everything else. I get like this when I have my periods, 2-3 nights a month, so I guess I can try the tea then. It just gets worse when I'm busy and stressed-- which makes it hard to get de-stressed and get down to business to get work done.<br><br>
Jessica

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I think almost all of the Yogi teas say do not consume while PG or BF. I drink the Bedtime time often and I don't see any concern with occaisonal cups of it. Sure, some of the herbs in the tea could potentially have ill effects if consumed in quantity, regularly. But steeping a tea bag for a few minutes doesn't concern me. Just my 2 cents. And valerian is ofen Rx by MWs for anxiety/insomnia, but there are some great formulas out there too. I'm partial to scullcap and passionflower. Cascade also sells a nice line of pregnancy herbals.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
My medwife during my first pregnancy actually gave me a paper that suggested licorice root as a remedy for morning sickness. I took one look at it and mentioned that I thought LR was an abortificant and she was like "really?" When I came back for my next appointment, she was all "wow you were right!"<br><br>
The amount in a single cup of Yogi tea is probably not enough to do much of anything. BUT... Drinking it every night, or even relatively frequently... why take the chance, you know?

·
Registered
846 Posts
there are also a lot of online sources of valerian root. I usually order by herbs from jeans's green (google it and you'll find her website). They're really nice because you can order small amounts unlike a lot of online retailers.<br><br>
about the licorice...i would say it is best to stay away from it.<br><br>
Have you ever used valerian before? it works very well for some people, but a lot of people also suffer from headache and nightmares on valerian. Another alternative would be skullcap, it has similiar benefits without the side effects. Just a side note...if you were considering chamomile, it is also contraindicated in pregnancy because it can bring on menstruation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts