Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2,966 Posts
i dont think you need a yogurt maker. i just leave my yogurt in the oven w/the light on overnight. also, i use a tsp of organic yogurt as a starter. also, never use more starter than called for, or shake the jar while it is setting up. that will cause the yogurt to be runny. sorry so short, nak!!

· Premium Member
11,611 Posts
I love my Girmi yogurt maker- have had it a year. It's flat and looks like a flying saucer- cost about $29 ppd.

What I like about this one is I can substitute 4 pint canning jars for the little jars it comes with and set a towel over the lid and I get a a half gallon of yogurt.

It's very reliable- I simply plug it and forget about it. It also stores easy, being flat. I don't use the jars it came with because they didn't make enough and they were hard to clean compared to canning jars.

· Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh wow, I wouldnt' have thought you would be able to taste it, thanks for the input!

anyone have the recipes taht I;ll need? Is yogurt then considered a probiotic and are there different kinds of probiotics other than yogurt? Trying to keep my family healthy as best I can, thansk!

· Registered
966 Posts
re yogurt as probiotic, i believe that it does give benefits but does not colonize the digestive tract in the way that kefir does. we had problems with digesting the kefir, so we just use a probiotic supplement for the babe. we like baby maxidophilous, which has a wider range of probiotics than yogurt. although i'm all for feeding the babe yogurt also!

we found our salton yogurt maker at a garage sale for $1. needed a little cleaning but otherwise it was a great deal. it's handy because it came with glass jars and plastic tops in roughly 1-cup sizes.

· Registered
322 Posts
First decide if you want a larger bowl of yogurt (like the quart size makers) or an individual cup size maker. They are pretty cheap on eBay.(or as everone has said, try the methods with out a maker) I have an individual cup size and love it...I can experiment with one of the cups and not "ruin" the rest of the yogurt. (I alternate using the cups that came with it and the larger size babyfood jars, so I can make a batch before the other runs out) I like Stonyfield yogurt as a starter (the full cream version..I just freeze the extra in starter size containers)
Alton Brown has a great show on yogurt (good milk gone bad), It's not on the foodnetwork web page but it airs again on Jan. 13.
Here is Alton's recipe and method.
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/getrecipe.zsp?id=40602

There are a ton of articles recipes on the web...Enough to keep you reading for days.

The basics are the correct temperature, Clean, clean clean cups.jars/utensils...and don't jostle or jiggle your culturing yogurt.
Good luck.

· Registered
607 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Runningmommy
how about this one? $15, 1 qt, looks easy?
http://store.yahoo.com/buzzappliances/104591.html
I use this one and love it. I threw out the plastic container they provide for culturing yogurt. I scald the milk in a wide-mouth quart jar. After adding the starter (either yogurt with live cultures, or Yogourmet starter), I place the jar in the yogurt maker. Fits perfectly and works great!

Carolyn

· Registered
11,754 Posts
has anyone tried this machine?
http://store.yahoo.com/dynadirect/ha-ym80.html

I have never made yogurt
but am going to make my first batch this week (w/out a machine) what's the simplest easiest recipe? do I have to use dry milk btw? also I like my yogurt premixed, can I just stick it in the food processor with the fruit after it's done?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.