Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So DH and I just got back from a relationship work group type thing. As part of our business trip employees and spouses do self improvement and general relaxing and it's a great way to get to know yourself.

The first question that was asked was, what was the story of you and your spouse?

This got me thinking, we're having babies and love and babies go hand in hand(whether romantic love or friendship depending on your situation). So what is you and your DP's story? How'd you meet? Fall in love? I'll post mine a bit later when I have more than a minute to myself.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
i posted mine in my spotlight thread in the august DDC....
pretty much, online friends, friends, booty call, love, married, pregnant within a short period of time. still MADLY in love.
he is the missing piece to my puzzle.
he is my penguin.
he is my partner. and i couldnt imagine being with anyone else ever.

·
Registered
942 Posts
DH was divorced & living here in San Diego. I was separated, living outside Seattle, and had just starting to think about dating again. We met online. First it was e-mails, then instant messaging. Then phone calls and then we started flying back & forth for visits. We "dated" that way for a year before Lydia and I moved down here.

Last June we got married. We weren't planning on having any more kids, but a lapse in health insurance and being too cheap to pay for BC pills full price caused a little Oops who's name will be Thomas.
DH is adopting dd, with the finalization coming next month.

I love my husband more than I ever thought possible. I went from Mr WTF-was-I-thinking to Mr Right.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
My husband and I met through my mother.. unlikely that I would meet the love of my life through her but that's a different story. I was at the time 18 and saving all my money to take my son and I down to California. I wanted something new and different. When I met my dh it was what I consider love at first site. Our eyes met and it was like I knew him already. How funny is it that before I even knew his name I knew we would have a relationship.

My mother gave him my number but it took him about a month to call. I was at a very different phase in my life at that time.. introverted and analytical. We started dating and I didn't put my oldest son into the mix right away because I wanted to get to know him and just see where things went from there.

He was living in a really crappy situation and I talked to my family about it. They allowed him to move in with us. It was shortly thereafter he totaled his car, I got pregnant and we started our life together. We were married 6 months after we first met. Some probably didn't think it would work.. I was such a "free spirit" back then that not much (other than my child(ren) was able to tie me down. His proposal wasn't very romantic but it was enough for me. We had a small wedding at the courthouse because it was all we could afford.

In our 8 and a half years of marriage we have been through a lot... we have fought our way up from the bottom of the bottom and while we are not on top we are happy and comfortable. My favourite saying is "We may not have it altogether, but together we have it all." That saying fits our relationship so well.

Next July is our ten year anniversary and to celebrate it we decided to renew our vows but in a very different way. We are going to have all of our children there (our family is now complete I feel) and we want to have a handfasting ceremony of sorts. I want the older boys to be the ones with the speaking parts. Their love ties and binds us together forever and I would love nothing more than to have them be an integral part of our vows because they are our everything.

I suppose that was a bit more than you were asking for but it was fun to type it all out and it reminds me of all that I have to be grateful for. I love my husband.. he is my life partner. There are things I would definitely like to change about him sometimes but all in all he's who he is for a reason. We don't have the perfect relationship by any stretch but what we have works for us. Thanks for starting such a sweet thread..

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love all the stories!

When I got out of high school and was making choices for college I decided to get an off campus apartment and chose to go coed. The school set it up so I was quite surprised on move in day when this really cute football player was moving his things in too. We shared a one bedroom apartment and after 2 years of awkwardness we decided to just share the room.

He had stopped dating and I asked him why and he said "why do I need to date when I have such a great girl in the bed next to mine". Ever since then I was so in love with him. We started to date and continued to live together through college and grad school.

On the day of grad school graduation he proposed and we eloped to Atlantic City that night. We've been married 5 years now and what started out as a weird situation turned into the best thing of my life. I'm so happy we were friends and roomies before we took it to the next step.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I dont' share this much, b/c it gets mixed reactions.....

DH is 42, I'm 35. We met online in 1997, in the era of the internet chatroom craze. My AOL username was bparker337, he was tommyd32. Our personal lives were both messy, to say it nicely. We met in the Christian Singles room, and started talking on the phone shortly thereafter. I lived in the midwest, he in Alabama. I flew down to meet him in Feb 98, and we were married that April, on Easter weekend, in small ceremony in my hometown. I moved to Alabama with him, as after much discussion it seemed more "logical" for me to move - I'd done it dozens of times, had more experience with it AND I have the college degree, so the possiblity of me finding a good job quickly seemed better than his, up here in a smaller town. We moved back here 3 years ago, and that's a whole different post!

We didn't know each other well enough though, and our first year of marriage was a fight in every direction. We've had some very rocky times, and some very good times. In many ways, we're not compatible. IN others, we're like long lost siblings. He's an indoors, movie watching, pizza eating, armchair quarterback, wine cooler kind of guy. I'm a camping, hiking, bike riding, sushi eating, barefoot, martini drinking kind of gal. We have a lot of obstacles to overcome. And we still do. We've been through 3 rounds of heavy duty marriage counseling, and we're no longer threatening each other with divorce. We're in it for the long run, which scares me sometimes b/c it's hard for me to picture myself during retirement with him, or doing "old folks": things together. But we're not there yet, we're HERE. So we live HERE, right now.

He's a hardworking, loving man. He adores his children, he loves me, and he works hard for us. He rolls around on the floor with his children, he loves my nutty family (step-parents, step-siblings and all sorts of confusion), and is committed to it all.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
My dh and I met in high school. We were in art class together and he was a trouble maker. He had gotten into some trouble for standing up for some nerdy guy who was getting picked on. (I think he threw the bully up against the lockers) I didn't even know who he was, but the teacher kept asking the class where he was so I tried to figure out who was missing.

When he finally came back to class I decided that he was pretty cute and I wanted to get to know him better. I totally stalked him. I bummed a few rides home from him. I totally spelled it out to him that I wanted to date him. He insisted that he was not looking for a relationship. I still continued to hang out with him. I think it took him a month to finally ask me out, and within a week he was writing me notes and talking about getting married.
(I still have the notes to prove it!)(I was a sophmore and he was a junior so we had a ways to go)

We dated all throughout the rest of HS. We never broke up. He ended up working for a local bread company delivering bread after he graduated. I graduated a year early and joined the Air Force in Aug of 95(my mom signed papers so that I could join at 17). He went along with me and we were married in March of 96.....one week after I turned 18.

We have always wanted a bunch of kids. Our children so far have been born in 98, 99, 01, and 03. We will celebrate our 11th wedding anniversary this year. I am a SAHM now. Dh is just as wonderful as the day I met him......probably more wonderful. We have just always gotten along very well together. We make each other very happy.

·
Registered
11,593 Posts
We met in a parking lot/teen hang-out when we were 17, fresh out of high school. This sounds *so* bad, but he crawled into the backseat of my car, and we made out without even really knowing each other. We started officially dating a few months later, then got pregnant with our son six months after that in the midst of planning to move in together. We married in April 2001 and had our son in October of that year. We separated in July 2003, divorced in February 2005, and I got pregnant with my daughter (with another man) in February 2005. Had my daughter in October 2005, reunited with my DH in November 2005, moved back in together in December 2005, remarried in April 2006 (on what would have been our 5-year anniversary), and have been blissfully remarried for almost a year, with our third sweet baby (second baby together) coming this summer! Whew. Did you get this far?

·
Registered
222 Posts
We met skydiving.

Copied from my wedding web page:

How we met...

It was a sunny day and the winds we're light out of the south. I had seen Jeff around the drop zone recently. Nothing too eventful, we didn't really know each other. I was frantically looking for my helmet that I misplaced, I had only minutes before I was due on the plane. Jeff noticed my search and found my helmet, he interrupted my flailing search by handing me my helmet. Our eyes met and later that day we made a skydive together. Before leaving the drop zone he asked me out on a date. Later that week we had our first date and soon were inseparable both on the ground and in the air.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
We met in tech school while we were both in the Air Force.

In the military "tech school marriages" are infamous and are mocked. Most of the time tech schoolers are 18 yr old kids, on their own for the first time, and they "fall in love" with the first person they see at tech school (which is right after boot camp), get married, and then everything goes to hell and they get divorced.

Dh was 26 though and I was 22 and we both had already been on our own for ages. He was my best friend's roommate and since my best friend told me he had a girlfriend (which turned out not to be really true) I just refered to him as "Tucker's hot roommate." I never even really knew his name.

Anyways one night I was at the bar and for some reason no one was showing up that night so I was bored. My dh got there so I went and chatted with him thinking nothing of it. He started buying shots and the next thing I knew we were on the dance floor, drunk out of our minds, and actually got up in this cage thing they had where you could dance. Apparently we looked so bad (neither one of us can dance) that the DJ turned off the music and pointed the spot light on us...we were so drunk we didn't notice anything and kept dancing LOL.

That was in November. He graduated in December and got sent to Tucson. I graduated in February and we got married at the court house as soon as I got here. So we basically dated in person for 1 month, had a long distance relationship for 2 mos and then got married.

It was fast but it was perfect. Our first year was total bliss and we can still spend 24/7 with each other and not get annoyed. We just had our 4 yr anniversary a few weeks ago

·
Registered
614 Posts
How we met... hrmmm... well, we both went to the same hs... he was 3 years ahead of me in school... my best friend & his best friend (and room mate) dated for like 10 years and so we had been pretty close friends for a WHILE before we ever even realized we remotely liked each other... I was always staying w/ my bf at her boyfriends house, even sharing the bed with dh (no freaky stuff! lol!) on many occasions and it just never clicked. For either of us. Looking back, I think we both really RESPECTED each other and didn't want to do anything stupid to mess up something that could be really good yk? We were BOTH dating other people at that time (2000) and it just so happened that I got pg when I was 19, he was 22... The sperm donor called to ask if I had insurance when I was 9wks pg and that was the last I heard of him... I always wonder what would've happened if I hadn't had insurance...

So I prepare for mother hood as a single mom... me & dh are still hanging out regularly as friends, he's sweet and takes a LARGELY pregnant chick out for lunch and gossip and we are still completely JUST FRIENDS. I had Braden at the end of January (31st), 2001 and Adam was THE ONLY GUY to come visit us in the hospital... he was too too cute holding my firstborn child, and I didn't know if it was just me, but it was like they had a CONNECTION... It was really weird, actually, but I liked it all at the same time... We continue to hang out, but I'm much busier than before the baby came... I stayed home w/ Bray all during the day and took a full load of classes at night... there really wasn't much time for a social life, and Adam was working doing LOTS of traveling durning that time so while we still talked and saw each other every once in a while we were slowly but surely growing away from each other...

Our friends (my bf & his bf/roommate) broke up in August 2001 and we didn't see each other AT ALL the entire month of September. He called me on Sept. 12th (the day after 9/11) and told me that if we didn't start seeing each other on our own, that we probably weren't going ever see each other again! This was a realization for BOTH of us and we decided to go to dinner together, on a double date w/ his bf & his new gf... That was the first night we truly saw each other 'in the other light'... It's actually *really crazy* to think about now because its like I don't even remember him as the man who is my husband before that night... it's almost like there were two different people! From that moment on, we started dating seriously. We wanted to be with no other besides each other! We moved in to our own house together in April of 2002, he asked me to marry him on Mother's day that next month and we were married in October, later that year... I have to say that of all the decisions I've made in my life, choosing my child and choosing my husband were not only the two most important decisions, but also the BEST decisions I've ever made. They are two completely awesome guys and I love them both dearly!! My husband is *the best* daddy my son could have ever asked for, and he's more incredible that I could have ever imagined my husband being. I love him so SO much!!
:

Alayna

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's so fun to read all these stories!
I had just graduated from art school in England and dh had graduated from art school in California. We both had been awarded the opportunity to go to a little village in Italy to paint a mural as part of our graduation process. He said that as soon as he saw me get off the bus in the little village in Italy he knew he wanted to marry me! He has a written entry in his journal to prove it. We were there for 3 weeks and fell madly in love - it was like we were always meant to be together. We visited back and forth for a year and then I stayed in CA for 3 months and we decided to get married (in the little White chapel in Vegas!). We will be celebrating our 10th anniversary this year. He is truly the most amazing person I have ever known.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
DH and I met on eHarmony.

And we are totally corny head over heels perfectly matched insanely in love.

We have this incredibly complicated blended family and yet life together is just so... easy. We are both brainy, geeky types, so we're most in our element as a couple when we have some challenge to wrestle to the ground.

We can just have the most fun going round and round a problem trying to figure out the best solution and all the pros and cons of various ideas. Our life certainly provides plenty of fodder for THAT.

Oh and he's just adorably cute and sensitive and masculine all rolled up in one. Plus he smells divine. And he's SMART and mechanical/handy. He appreciates me and my intelligence. And we just fit together perfectly. I had never believed two people could even actually BE this well matched. Until I met my boy, I thought that was all fantasy land. Hooking up with him is like having a winning lottery ticket. I still feel blindsided by my good fortune.

Edited to add a couple photos from our wedding.

http://beba.vox.com/library/photo/6a...136c46a47.html
http://beba.vox.com/library/photo/6a...d045fbe2b.html

·
Registered
208 Posts
hey, ashersmum, dh and i got married in the little white chapel in vegas!
(and i'm naming this baby boy asher! great minds think alike!)

i met dh when i was 16, he was 19, at a party. we dated for a few months, and he broke it off, saying i was too young. (my parents were pretty strict, and with him being older, i wasn't allowed to do much.) i was devastated.
i ended up dating the boyfriend after him all the rest of the way through high school, and a year after. that guy joined the army, and i decided i couldn't remain in a long-distance relationship with him any longer, so i broke it off with him. a good friend of mine took me to a party a week or 2 later to get my mind off "things" and guess who was there?
we've basically been together ever since. after about 3 months of dating, we moved in to an apartment together(this was in 1999). we bought a house and got married in 2003(in vegas!) had sam in 2005, and now this little guy to come this year. our lives have taken twists and turns i wouldn't have imagined 8 years ago, but i wouldn't have it any other way..we're still very happy together, and the envy couple of most of our friends.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
We met on hotornot!
If your not familiar with the site, it is just where you put up a picture of yourself, and random people can rate you on a scale from 1 -10. If you pay a monthly fee you can send emails to people too. So anyways, I was on that website for awhile, I met a couple idiots, and then dh sent me an email. We started talking on aim one night, and I gave him my number. About a week later we met in person, and 6 months of dating later we were engaged! We were married a year after our engagement, and 5 months after that I found out I was pregnant!

·
Registered
235 Posts
me and hotpants met in middle school. he was in the grade below mine and played in a crappy punk rock band with my brother. he was very quiet and seemed kind of embarrased and annoyed whenever i talked to him. i was obnoxious! :] and he was just too dreamy. i couldnt help having a huge crush on him, but our relationship was pretty brother/sisterly.

i dropped out of high school after tenth grade and travelled around on the east coast for a few years, and spent some time living in philly with my ex bf. then i came back home and got an awesome job at an herb farm, mostly propagating plants. after a while who should come to work there but hot pants himself!

just as we got to know each other better i went on a whim to live in tucson on a farm in a tipi. i stayed for a while, then went traveling around the southwest with a boy i met there, living in a truck. when i went back east at christmas time, i was sad to see that hotpants wasnt home, but happy to find that he too was out west, and also lived in a tipi, although in another state. i tried to contact him when i went back out west, but its pretty hard for two basically homeless people to find each other two states away. i felt weirdly drawn to him, it seemed kind of out of nowhere, but i really missed him.

a few months later things fell apart with tucson boy and i went home in the spring. i was so happy to be on my own without a dude. i planned on spending the summer at home so i could see my brother and sister before they went back to school in the fall.

i think i was home about three days before hot pants told me he was in love with me. my first reaction was 'oh no, dont say that!' but i really couldnt deny i felt the same way. at first i thought wed just be spending the summer together, i planned to go back to the desert when my brother and sister went back to school. i was pretty afraid to let myself fall in love with him. i remember that i didnt even want to look into his eyes at first.

then when the end of the summer was getting close he asked if he could come with me to tucson. i thought hed go back to colorado once we got out there... i still was kind of afraid of being in love with him, but we stuck together. we ended up hitchhiking around the west for months, playing music on the street to buy coffee and tobacco and eating peoples leftover handouts. we went to peyote meetings, we cried. we threw up. we yelled at each other. i decided that it was ok to be in love with him. hes the only dude ive ever met thats not afraid to tell me when im being a bitch!

in october i told hotpants as i did every month that i was about to ovulate. it was mischeif night and we were at hot springs. we made love anyway. we both knew immediatly that we created life. it was pretty magical.

we headed home when i started to get sick in california. weve just recently told our families and everyone is really happy and supportive. we cant wait to meet our fairy baby!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wheatie View Post
hey, ashersmum, dh and i got married in the little white chapel in vegas!
(and i'm naming this baby boy asher! great minds think alike!)

OK Wheatie - that's just weird. I don't know if you read a previous post of mine but I said that it's always funny when I read your signature line because my husband's name is Casey, my sister's name is Sam and Asher's middle name is Sam too. And now you're going to call your new baby Asher! We're truly on the same wavelength!

·
Registered
9 Posts
DH and I met at Wal*Mart, we were both working 3rd shift and both involved in a relationship. I was married, he had been with his gf for 13 years. My "husband" was an abusive alcoholic and his gf was a $ leech, we were eachother's "therapist", HOWEVER, we didn't start talking until one night I was bringing returns back to his department around November, there was a bag of those Christmas mixed nuts and I held them up and asked him (from halfway across the room btw) "Are these your nuts?" then....I realized what I just asked....."That's a little personal don't you think?" is the reply from DH, OMFG! I fell to the floor and hyperventalated from laughing so hard, it was the most mortifying moment of my life, yet, the best thing that could have happened too. Since then we started talking about our "relationships" and both decided we needed out of them (not so we could be together, just so we could be healthy) after talking for a while we just kinda fell into the role of dating, and even though I wasn't looking, I found my soul-mate. We were married last July after a long engagment, cause I was pregnant and refused to get married while I was pregnant (I was 5 months pregnant with my middle child when I married my ex) again. We will have our handfasting for our 5th anniversary, we didn't do it for our actual wedding, because his mother is VERY Catholic and wouldn't understand, lol. We wanted everybody at our wedding and felt that a handfasting wouldn't allow that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.