Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...home-headlines

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Illustrating a reservoir of concern even among Republicans, the House on Wednesday voted to roll back a provision of the USA Patriot Act that, at least in theory, enabled terrorism investigators to check out the reading habits of patrons of libraries and bookstores.

The amendment scales back a sweeping provision in the terror-fighting law, known as Section 215, that allows investigators to obtain a wide range of business records and other "tangible things."

While the provision does not mention books, it has come to be known as "the library provision," out of concern by librarians and civil liberties groups that investigators could use it to pry into the records of book lovers across the United States, infringing on basic freedoms.
Safe... for now.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by amarasmom
Whew! I thought maybe they were going to catch on that I was planning to make a bomb out of breastmilk and yarn.
So YOU'RE why they won't let me take my knitting on the plane, and all those other ladies keep getting made to drink their breastmilk up.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Quote:
"Whether the amendment will become law is unclear. It has yet to be taken up in the Senate, and with the GOP leadership in Congress opposed to any changes that might water down the Patriot Act, the measure faces an uphill fight.

Still, the margin of victory represented a setback for the administration, and underscored concern even among conservatives that parts of the Patriot Act gave government too much power to reach into the private lives of individuals.

Bush has vowed to veto the amendment, which was also strongly opposed by the Justice Department. "
As a library worker, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but I've learned not to get too optimistic with this administration in office.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Yay for Bernie Sanders!

He's running for senate, you know, trying to get Jim Jefrfords' seat. Jeffords is the republican who switched to Independant when bush was elected, in order to prevent a republican majority.

I love vermont and vermonter politicians!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts