Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd has some medical needs that force me to use pocket dipes (almost gave up on cloth but trying some new meds for her rash). She has severe GERD so her urine/bm's are acidic, and she has eczema on her diaper area too.

Anyway, the only detergent she can use is the free and clear kind, which as you know is supposed to make fleece repel. Well I've been washing in Tide Free for 3 weeks with *no* repelling problems at all. I think it's because it has oxybooster in it as well, which I've read is a good way to strip diapers.

I'm just washing them in hot Tide Free and then a hot soak/rinse with vinegar to be sure I get all of it off. Thought I'd share my good discovery with mommies of sensitive babies.

Darshani

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
I've always used free and clear and have never had a repelling problem. I believe that Tereson posted that she herself uses Cheer Free and Clear. I think the big problem is with the All F&C as it has a waxy build-up.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by USAmma
My dd has some medical needs that force me to use pocket dipes (almost gave up on cloth but trying some new meds for her rash). She has severe GERD so her urine/bm's are acidic, and she has eczema on her diaper area too.

Anyway, the only detergent she can use is the free and clear kind, which as you know is supposed to make fleece repel. Well I've been washing in Tide Free for 3 weeks with *no* repelling problems at all. I think it's because it has oxybooster in it as well, which I've read is a good way to strip diapers.

I'm just washing them in hot Tide Free and then a hot soak/rinse with vinegar to be sure I get all of it off. Thought I'd share my good discovery with mommies of sensitive babies.

Darshani
Oh, poor little guy!

I think I read that most "natural" free and clear detergents have citrus oil in them, and that is what coats fleece and makes it repel. I haven't see any "free and clear" detergents in the grocery store that have that in it.
Only in the natural foods store. I was using All Free and Clear until just recently. My diapers started to be stinky.
Now we use Era. I just found out about Tide Free and Clear. Hmmmm...I wonder how that would work for us. I have always been afraid of reg. Tide, because most of my family has reactions to it. Ick! I will have to check out the free clear one.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
We used Tide Free almost exclusively on Boo's diapers for 18+ months with no issues of any kind. No repelling fleece, no wicking issues, no absorbancy problems, etc.

Right now - I'm using some Purex, it was cheaper - then back to Tide Free for the diapers here.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mom2six
I've always used free and clear and have never had a repelling problem. I believe that Tereson posted that she herself uses Cheer Free and Clear. I think the big problem is with the All F&C as it has a waxy build-up.
I used All free and Clear.. but it's almost gone.. maybe I'll start using a different kind after our next Costco run. I've never had a repelling problem, though.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That makes me happy

I just switched to Tide Free (liquid) as DD had a nasty rash. Washed all the diapers in that, rinsed well and viola, rash cleared up. When I read that some free and clear detergents were bad for fleece and pocket diapers I was bummed as I have fluffy mail waiting at my post office containing wonderoos and fuzzibunz.

Now I am happy again

·
Registered
555 Posts
I tried all the "normal reccomended" detergents and they 1) irritated DD skin 2) caused my diapers to repell
Tried the unrecommended ones "dreft natural ones and they work great I now use Sunandearth its dye, color (my DD problem) and perfume free, its also petrulum fee and biodegratable.

Deanna

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.