Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
When you take your dc to the doctor and she gets bored and starts licking the mini-blinds and rustling the paper on the exam table as much as possible.

When everyone comments on her being a "little ballerina" because of the toe walking.

When she gets UTI's and yeast infections from rubbing privates too much, and then rubs them more because they itch so much.

When she tries to help wash the dog and starts gagging and then vomits because of the wet dog smell.

I'm sure I have a LOT more . . .

Darshani

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
When he wears his sleeves up around his elbows even when its -40C because he doesn't like the way they feel when they are "down".

When he wears earmuffs everywhere because it is "too loud".

When everything must be COOL or he won't eat it, touch it, go near it......

Won't eat fruit because its too sticky, won't eat veggies because they are too crunchy, won't eat cereal because its too soft, won't eat crusts because they are too hard, etc.

And that is just the beginning

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRangeMama
When he wears earmuffs everywhere because it is "too loud".
Someone just made this suggestion to me yesterday.....why didn't I think of that?!

For dd:

When she tells you that her tap shoes are her favorite shoes because they are "tight, tight, tight".

When she insists on wearing tights, socks, and shoes (together) all summer long..........in south FL.

When her favorite place in the whole wide world is sitting in her bin of beans and rice

ETA: when the therapies are actually *working*, and she is suddenly a very happy, playful, joyful child.....and you sadly realize that she was not a very happy, playful, joyful child before you started the therapies

·
Premium Member
7,581 Posts
When you take your ds to see the Nutcracker and he refuses to go back inside after the cannon goes off in the very beginning (during the mouse queen battle)...

When he runs around the house (for no real reason) slamming into various hard surfaces, including his dad for the proprioceptive input....

When his diet has been reduced to just about 3 things....

sigh!

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
When it takes half an hour to get out the door to the park because even the special "no seam" socks that are worth their weight in gold hurt her feet, and all of her shoes bother her, but wearing open toes sandals and no socks in 48 degree weather doesn't. When someone else explains that their son doesn't like to wear jeans because the pockets on the back bother him, and you have to laugh because your daughter has never even put on a pair of pants that are not a stretchy knit with an elastic wasitband that she wears pulled down as far as she can because she can't stand the feel of anything around her stomach. When you have gone from store to store searching for bikini cut undies for a 2 yr old because she pulls the regular kind down so far. When you dh has suggested that you start stocking up on the low rise pants that are still in fashion before they disappear. When the thought of taking her shoe shopping makes you cry, and you are actually thinking of knitting her socks just so that she has some she might wear.

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by khrisday
stretchy knit with an elastic wasitband that she wears pulled down as far as she can because she can't stand the feel of anything around her stomach. When you have gone from store to store searching for bikini cut undies for a 2 yr old because she pulls the regular kind down so far. When you dh has suggested that you start stocking up on the low rise pants that are still in fashion before they disappear. When the thought of taking her shoe shopping makes you cry, and you are actually thinking of knitting her socks just so that she has some she might wear.
I am always amazed (when reading the stories of other families dealing with SID) when I see things my dd does that I never connected with SID. Dd has always done this (with the waistband). Immediately shoves it *way* down (that is, on the rare occasions that she wears a waistband--usually dresses here). I never connected that one!

Oh, and the thought of shoe shopping make me want to cry, too

Thought of another one:

When she freaks out because her one shoe/sock is not *exactly* as tight as the other one. Sigh.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
when he watches tv sitting upside down on the couch

when he can only eat room temperature food and it can't touch his face or lips (and free range mama, this too is only the beginning of the food issues)

When he can barely walk down the hall without crashing into a wall or falling down.

socks? what are those?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
When he only will wear long sleeved white dress shirts, even here in the GA summer, buttoned all the way to the collar, "because there's too much air". Wind, I guess.

When he only eats one food at a time, for months. It has been popcorn for weeks now, but he may be leaning toward canned chicken soup next.

Today he was out riding his bike, barefoot, 40F, & when I suggested shoes, he said, "Shoes are of the past, Mom, this is the way of the future!" Remains to be seen if he wears shoes to the synagogue tonight. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
One more: When Abi walks around all day wearing a heavy backpack (either hers or mine). I think it gives her sensory input.

Darshani

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I keep stacks of socks, shirts, and various sizes of underwear strategically placed throughout the house and car - because I never know when a drop of water might land on him or a drop of urine might escape after he uses the toilet - completely ruining whatever he was wearing. (And I also never know whether he is going to wear a size 6 underwear or a 2T on any given day...)

Also... when the only underwear in HER drawer are thick training pants - even though she potty-trained 2.5 years ago. "Because the other ones have 'lines' on them that hurt."

When I have, in my closet, a lace-tightener made for hockey players - because those sneakers can never be tight enough!

When the reason I am late every time I need to go anywhere is because at least one of my three kids ALWAYS has a clothing issue at the very moment we are walking out the door.

·
Registered
172 Posts
when your son is wearing either no shirt at all or his fleecy AND his jacket (inside), and your daughter is wearing pjs, as she has been since just before she turned 3 - clothes? no, they're too HARD!

when your dd tells you 'that noise is just me tipping out the puzzle pieces mommy, don't be scared'

when 'kid sandwiches' turn the whole morning around like magic!

when one kid is freaking out because the finger paint got on his finger, and the other one is up to her elbows trying to swim in it.

when your dd tells you she can't be in the concert, she's scared of all the people - oh, in the audience looking at you? no, on the stage next to me!

<sigh> good to hear some other stories, sometimes I think I'm making this up!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
DD (4 and 32 pounds) wants daddy to lay on her...(5'9 and 323 pounds) and can do that for hours

the tv has to be on 24 hours a day (even when she is sleeping) because she HAS to have the input

she has to be touching you in some fashion....ALL day

an office chair spinning is her absolute favorite thing

you can lift your child up by the hair and she giggles and asks for more, sigh

you have electric toothbrushes everywhere

she comes over and asks you to scratch her whole body with your fingernails

This wouldn't be so bad, except that she has Hyposensitive SID and I have Hypersensitive SID, it makes for a really interesting household.....

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.