Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know you're a TF geek when... you can't leave for a week's vacation without spending an entire evening doing food prep. Not necessarily food for the trip (we'll be staying with ILs who will pay for all our grocery shopping, so I'm not wasting money prepping food for while we're there!), but mostly managing cultures so nothing needs attention while we're away!

Ok, I did one food prep thing - I'm soaking beans and rice to make megadarra, to take on the plane with us. Hence comes the rambling about phytates. I've been meaning to experiment with using the "warm" setting on my crock pot to soak beans at 140. Theoretically, that's the temp of "warm". Last time I tried it, I left the lid slightly ajar so I could run the cord of my electric thermometer out of it, thus to monitor the temp. It never got above the mid-120s. I think the ajar lid probably contributed to that a lot, so tonight I'm trying it with the lid closed. I really want to know if soaking grains at 140 has the same effect as soaking beans at that temp; meanwhile, I figured it can't hurt, so I threw the rice in with the lentils. I heated water on the stove, poured it over the beans and rice, then added boiling water a little at a time until I got the temp up to 140. Then I turned the pot on low and covered it. I'll report in the morning with what the temp is at that point. I imagine I'll be modifying the recipe somewhat, given all the liquid that will be absorbed in this process; I'm going to make it with lamb stock, but I don't imagine I'll need a lot of that.

In kombucha news, ya'll might remember me lamenting the sorry fate of my scoby. I let my scobies sit for a few weeks (including a backlog of old mama scobies), and when I went to use my most recent baby, both jars went moldy. :yuck: I tossed them, and reverted to some older scobies. I posted that it had been a long time and there was no development of a new baby yet. Much to my surprise, though, despite the lack of baby scobies, no mold grew on the brew, and it *smelled* like kombucha. I hated to throw it away, so I let it just sit there to see what happened. Lo, after over three weeks, suddenly babies appeared in both jars! Woo-hoo! My 'bucha isn't dead after all! I just siphoned it into bottles, and am drinking a glass now. I guess, if I fail to report in on the lentil soaking experiment, ya'll can assume I'm dead
So, in addition to siphoning this round of 'bucha, I've got water boiling right now for the next batch.

I also set up a batch of yogurt to culture overnight. I had a bunch of raw milk to use up. If I'd been on the ball, I would have set it up earlier in the day so it would have 24 hours to culture before I refrigerate it, as I have *loved* 24-hour raw yogurt. But, I'm not too concerned with that. It'll chug away for a good long time, I probably won't get to it until mid-afternoon tomorrow. I'll also strain a bit of it and mix it with garlic to serve over the cold megadarra we're taking on the plane on Wednesday.

I'm futzing around with kefir, as well. And took my ice cream maker bowl down to the chest freezer, because I have some raw cream I have to use up before we leave so we'll make ice cream tomorrow.

Yup, I'm a geek. Leaving on vacation can't just be throwing a couple of t-shirts in a suitcase, not for me

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Someone really should make a fancy slow-cooker / yogurt-maker / food-warmer that has a temperature dial like an oven, and a thermostat, and keeps the food at whatever precise temperature that you set it at!

·
Registered
65 Posts
They kinda have. http://tinyurl.com/39uhdw The temp setting is an actual dial temp setting. However, the lowest number setting is 200 (with warm below that). So, it would still need to be tested to see if warm was 140, and I'm sure it wouldn't work for yogurt.

I got this slow cooker for my wedding many many years ago. I have replaced the base unit (can buy at walmart) twice. Thankfully, the crock has survived, since it has to be special ordered if it breaks. It is the best crockpot ever created IMO because of the temp adjustments. None of the current too-hot crock pot crud that you find now-a-days!
Melanie

·
Registered
189 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
I also set up a batch of yogurt to culture overnight. I had a bunch of raw milk to use up. If I'd been on the ball, I would have set it up earlier in the day so it would have 24 hours to culture before I refrigerate it, as I have *loved* 24-hour raw yogurt. But, I'm not too concerned with that. It'll chug away for a good long time, I probably won't get to it until mid-afternoon tomorrow. I'll also strain a bit of it and mix it with garlic to serve over the cold megadarra we're taking on the plane on Wednesday.

Can you tell me how you make your "24 hr raw yogurt"? I have a supply of raw cow's milk, and I am wondering if I still need to heat the milk and then cool it before adding culture? Also, I assume the 24 hr comes into play because you are leaving in the yogurt maker 24 hrs??

also, if you're feeling chatty, what is megadarra??? sounds yummy!

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't heat and cool the milk before making raw yogurt. I just warm it to 110 on the stove, mix a little with the yogurt starter, then mix the rest of the milk with that; then put it in my yogurt maker and let it sit for 24 hours. Raw yogurt is notorious for being runny, since heating the milk to 180 partially denatures the proteins and allows them to form a firmer curd. Culturing it raw for 24 hours allows it to firm up much better than only doing it for 10 hours.

Megadarra is a middle eastern dish of lentils and rice with caramelized onions. It's usually served with yogurt on top, sometimes flavored with garlic. Here's the recipe I'm basing mine on

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tamagotchi View Post
Someone really should make a fancy slow-cooker / yogurt-maker / food-warmer that has a temperature dial like an oven, and a thermostat, and keeps the food at whatever precise temperature that you set it at!
I think about this every time I see my crock pot and my yogurt maker side by side. I have seen the one akoik mentions but I wish it were more precise and it went down to 110F. With a digital thing, for extra preciseness.

But if there were such a thing it'd probably cost $500 or something and I'd still have the same $20 yogurt maker and crock pot, heh.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, with the lid closed, my crockpot has kept temperature a little above 130. Maybe I should cover it with a light towel next time?

I wonder if, with the lid totally off, I could keep 110-ish? Perhaps I could use it to culture several jars full of yogurt at once?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tboroson View Post
Well, with the lid closed, my crockpot has kept temperature a little above 130. Maybe I should cover it with a light towel next time?

I wonder if, with the lid totally off, I could keep 110-ish? Perhaps I could use it to culture several jars full of yogurt at once?
I make yogurt in my crockpot with the lid off. The temperature on mine with the lid off was 116, but I think the temperature in the jars/containers would be less since I have them a bit sticking out of the water. The water also evaporates some since I'm using raw milk and let mine go 18 to 24 hours. I don't bother to warm up my milk, just put them in jars, stir in finished yogurt, and stick in the water in the crockpot. The top part gets a bit watery, but I get some nice gelling/coagulating at the bottom. I always wonder if that's cause I didn't stir in the starter well enough.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
So continuing with the "you know you are a TF geek when...".

Your husband tries to take you out to dinner because you are stressed that day, but all of his suggestions stress you out more.

Dh: "Mexican?"
Me: "Good, but too heavy sounding now...no enzymes"
Dh: "Italian?"
Me: "Sweetheart, white flour pasta is a no-no"
Dh: "but I LOOOOVE pasta!"
Me: "I know"
Dh: "Native Foods? (vegan place) I love their tacos"
Me: "Soy "meat" is awful for you..."
Dh: "WHAT?! Now soy meat is bad? If that is bad what CAN we eat out here? Is EVERYTHING bad?" (he is responsive to my TF ways, but I still haven't been able to get him to sit down and read at least the intro to NT)
Me: "Nothing I guess...you should read the intro to NT so you know what I'm talking about and don't think I'm crazy. And yes, almost everything we love in our American diet is bad..".

After much dancing in circles and me getting more and more tired to cook, I agree on Native Foods. At least everything there is organic, and I let him get his yucky soy tacos and I get a salad with avacado and quinoa. I sigh that the quinoa isn't soaked, but oh well. Better than the white flour pizza with yeast and soy cheese.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
So continuing with the "you know you are a TF geek when...".

Your husband tries to take you out to dinner because you are stressed that day, but all of his suggestions stress you out more.

Dh: "Mexican?"
Me: "Good, but too heavy sounding now...no enzymes"
Dh: "Italian?"
Me: "Sweetheart, white flour pasta is a no-no"
Dh: "but I LOOOOVE pasta!"
Me: "I know"
Dh: "Native Foods? (vegan place) I love their tacos"
Me: "Soy "meat" is awful for you..."
Dh: "WHAT?! Now soy meat is bad? If that is bad what CAN we eat out here? Is EVERYTHING bad?" (he is responsive to my TF ways, but I still haven't been able to get him to sit down and read at least the intro to NT)
Me: "Nothing I guess...you should read the intro to NT so you know what I'm talking about and don't think I'm crazy. And yes, almost everything we love in our American diet is bad..".

After much dancing in circles and me getting more and more tired to cook, I agree on Native Foods. At least everything there is organic, and I let him get his yucky soy tacos and I get a salad with avacado and quinoa. I sigh that the quinoa isn't soaked, but oh well. Better than the white flour pizza with yeast and soy cheese.

PS- Megadarra sounds yummy! We do lentils and rice once a week or so...cooked in chicken stock topped with a little shredded raw cheddar...so I will have to give that one a try.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolelynn View Post
... and you have actually put a lot of thought into where you should go out to eat, when you go out to eat

IMHO, your best bet is a good French bistro. My fave here in town has a dish of mussels steamed in this amazing beer with bacon and carmelized shallots... OMG it is HEAVEN. And they typically do really awesome veggie side dishes with lots of cream (pasteurized of course, but we're in Canada where it's actually illegal, nation-wide, to sell pasteurized milk EVEN through cow share programs GRRRR) and they cook with only butter and EVOO... and they have lots of dishes that involve duck and chicken livers and oh crap I'm getting hungry and it's only 10:30 in the morning! Damn you, Traditional Foods forum!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.