Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday is our first "official" day. We are going to start Monday, though. I am a little nervous....trying not to stress. Any tips for first day/first grade/first time doing this?

We haven't really settled on a "method" yet. Right now, I'm just getting books together for the first couple of weeks; we're doing "all about me" or an autobiographical block creating a Self Book---I figured that was a good place to start.

I do not have a curriculum nor all the materials that I'd like to have, but we meet with our charter's resource consultant in a couple of weeks, and they can approve funds for us then.

For math, we're doing kitchen table math....right now everything is pretty much from-scratch-natural-family-method and going to the library.

Anyways, any ideas/tips/anecdotes that you wish you would have known when starting out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
What I discovered and now tell newbies is that you don't have to have every aspect of the next 12 years lined out.

Get your 1st month planned out and have a general idea, you can add, change, re-arrange, etc as you go.

That takes a lot of pressure off. You just need to know what you're doing now. You can keep educating yourself and researching as you go.

I also say that somedays when things aren't going well, it's better to put everything away and have a cuddle on the couch with storybooks day than it is to turn into a maniac homeschool mom
. I want my son to have fond memories of his homeschool journey.
I've come to realize that one day will not make or break our school year.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Things I've learned...
-you don't have to continue using something that's not working.

-I'm a better guide than a teacher.

-breaks are necessary, and learning happens all the time.

And most importantly, the first day is special. It is just as much something for us to celebrate each year as the children going back to school. Our first day includes schultuten and a lot of fun and organizing, but not a lot of bookwork. (This year, science on the first day is making ice cream.
)

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I really, really wish I'd known how easy it is to do too much. It's so easy to get caught up with all the great curricula and possibilities and wake up and see that expectations are totally unrealistic. And that no one needs to run 3 math programs per kid at a time.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
I wish I'd known that homeschooling through the summer is a pain if lots of kids live in your neighborhood. You'll be dealing with interruptions constantly.

LOL, I can totally see this being a problem! Our neighborhood kids are constantly ringing the bell for DD to come play.

I'm thinking of posting a note on our door "DD can play @ ___" whenever I think we'll be done (also after the hottest part of the day has passed
).

I personally would rather wait til Fall as right now her major focus is outdoor physical play and friends, with a bit of craft/music/art sprinkled in here and there, but our absolutely wonderful HS charter school begins Wednesday so
we're doing it!

Her neighborhood BF starts private school at the end of July, so the girls feel pretty good about having summer school in common.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by PJsmomma View Post
What I discovered and now tell newbies is that you don't have to have every aspect of the next 12 years lined out.

Get your 1st month planned out and have a general idea, you can add, change, re-arrange, etc as you go.

Thanks for that! I keep reading about all these moms that have every day and every lesson planned out for the whole year for all of their multi-grade kids.

I don't want to commit to a curriculum--I want us to have a lot of flexibility. BUT I'm sure I would be very comforted by knowing exactly what we're doing every day.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LilyGrace View Post
And most importantly, the first day is special. It is just as much something for us to celebrate each year as the children going back to school.
Yes, I want her to really feel like we're doing something special together, not like, oh this is just another day.

I've told her that we're starting tomorrow, and she's pretty blase
but she is psyched that tomorrow is her first day in the second swim session (my baby's a jellyfish now!
).

So, any tips on making it special, not just what we're doing before Mom goes to run errands.....I have the feeling that it's actually going to be quite anticlimactic

I am putting together a Circle Time routine, so that will indicate that today is a special school day.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Plan 3 months instead of a whole year. I found out that I couldn't keep on tract for more than 13 weeks at a time. Also year round school worked out best for us. School for 3 months (Jan-Mar; May-Jul;Sept-Nov) with one month off (April; Aug; Dec). That came about because of everything I wanted to do for the Thanksgiving/Christmas season.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Be her mother, who happens to be teaching her.

Once, early on, I played the role as "teacher" and my daughter immediately gave me this look, like, "who are you?" That was a good laugh and a humbling experience. I had forgotten that it was my normal old self that was the perfect person to teach her (as I had been doing for years before that!)!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by craft_media_hero View Post
So, any tips on making it special, not just what we're doing before Mom goes to run errands.....I have the feeling that it's actually going to be quite anticlimactic

Take pictures!! When my kids were in PS, I took pictures of the first day and other "special" days. I think you should take a picture of your first day.

I would also have an activity that is more festive--I don't know, bake something . . . cookies cut into books or something. You get a math lesson and a celebration in one!

Amy

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Flexibility and spontaneity are your friends -- embrace them and they will guide you.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
I wish I'd known that homeschooling through the summer is a pain if lots of kids live in your neighborhood. You'll be dealing with interruptions constantly.

It depends on the neighborhood and your school schedule. We only homeschooled in the mornings and always quit at lunch (except for field trips, of course). The girls' friends also had things to do in the mornings--chores, etc. Every one knew that Joy and Erica couldn't play until after lunch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.