Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
The Pew people attribute it to older generations remembering deadly diseases. That may be part of it.

But this generation is unlikely to be aware of which and how many vaccines are on the schedule these days. I'm pretty confident that the elderly would not place chicken pox at the same scare-level as polio.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
That's because they have grown up with all the propaganda. It's harder to convince a sane 65-year old who had measles that it's deadly.

The younger generation know no different and are just parroting what they have been told.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's because they have grown up with all the propaganda. It's harder to convince a sane 65-year old who had measles that it's deadly.

The younger generation know no different and are just parroting what they have been told.
Not sure if you understand, the poll indicates the younger generation is cool with parents choosing to not vaccinate, relatively speaking.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Not sure if you understand, the poll indicates the younger generation is cool with parents choosing to not vaccinate, relatively speaking.
Oops you're right, I confess I didn't read the link. But in my teens experience the kids at her school are parroting the typical mainstream vaccine talking points, including the "that British doctor that faked the research". If that isn't' parroting what they have heard I don't know what is.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Oops you're right, I confess I didn't read the link. But in my teens experience the kids at her school are parroting the typical mainstream vaccine talking points, including the "that British doctor that faked the research". If that isn't' parroting what they have heard I don't know what is.
I see the same. My dd's friends tell her how good vaxes are for her. I have to remind her that some parents feel that way but I did a lot of research and I don't agree.

I also have had this conversation several times with someone in their 50s. They believe in it strongly due to the polio scares and they have no idea of what the vaxes today are or how the incidences of many of these diseases went down. I think many in this generation would be surprised of the scare tactics of diseases like CP. I mean I had it badly as a kid and it wasn't that bad. I remember my mom had shingles a few years before I had CP.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I can understand younger people supporting choice. Siblings of vaccine injured children are impacted by what they see in their own homes. They are aware of the failings of allopathic medicine and are witness to the other areas of healthcare which provide better outcomes in some situations.

And I agree that much older people do not have a clue what the schedule is.

Interesting that they chose to define higher income as $75,000+. Wonder what happens when they change it to $160K+. Perhaps it would better resemble the studies that have been done showing less enthusiasm for vaccines by people with higher incomes.

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
I think that Millennials supporting vaccine choice is more of a "question authority" type deal, not so much that they are scared of them.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I can understand younger people supporting choice. Siblings of vaccine injured children are impacted by what they see in their own homes. They are aware of the failings of allopathic medicine and are witness to the other areas of healthcare which provide better outcomes in some situations.

And I agree that much older people do not have a clue what the schedule is.

Interesting that they chose to define higher income as $75,000+. Wonder what happens when they change it to $160K+. Perhaps it would better resemble the studies that have been done showing less enthusiasm for vaccines by people with higher incomes.
You are not suggesting the survey was manipulated to match preposition of the article, are you? are you?:wink:

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
I think that Millennials supporting vaccine choice is more of a "question authority" type deal, not so much that they are scared of them.
In my book, questioning authority is
1) normal for young people
2) shows good sense when it applies to a product which is universally pushed; is profitable and steadily becoming more so and finally and most important, has liability protections.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Well, Gen X/Y is lumped in with that younger demographic, and for us, it was neither. We just had babies. Then we noticed chicken pox, Hep B, and flu vaccinations on a schedule meant to rescue us from the devastation of neighborhood polio outbreaks. Then we learned that since we were kids getting our shots, vaccine manufacturers became absolved of liability. Then we thought WTF.

We're not rebelling just for rebellion's sake. We have genuine questions that PR marketing, scare stories, and pre-rehearsed, pro-vaccine talking points are failing to address.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

Good point, and the way the schedule has tremendously increased over the years, so have the injuries and reactions, whether mild, moderate, or severe. Therefore, there is a much greater chance of injuries seen by siblings in the same household due to vaccines than there used to be.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts